Mystery under-dash plugs... anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
So tonight I went plug hunting, mainly because I am still having the airbag chime and light issue.

Two questions:
Anyone know what these are for/go to?
When did the rams first have floor lighting?

This one is mounted downward between the hood release and the center dash (hvac/radio) area. If I pull teh cap off it reveals a plug with roughly 20 pins.. but it's covered with a cap, nothing plugged into it.
Kf0gG

This one is mounted above teh parking brake pedal assembly.
8SvmkVO

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Without a picture, I'm guessing the OBD II port. Look up a picture of one and see if that's it.

RaMonty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Very often, the airbag light issue is a plug up under your seat. If something was stuffed under there, it could have dislodged it. It doesn't take much. Try reseating all of the plugs under there.

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
Without a picture, I'm guessing the OBD II port. Look up a picture of one and see if that's it.

Nope.. I'd hope most people know what teh ODB2 port looks like. I guess this evening Ill try some different image host...

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
Very often, the airbag light issue is a plug up under your seat. If something was stuffed under there, it could have dislodged it. It doesn't take much. Try reseating all of the plugs under there.

I have two plugs under the driver's seat. One that's just a coupler and the second connected to a Y. First end runs to the driver seatbelt latch, second to a this length of loom under teh center 'seat'. Then another Y... one to teh center seat belt latch then the last one to the passenger seat belt latch.
Bad thing is, it's so intermittent and inconsistent. Rough roads like washboard gravel sometimes make it go off. Other times, like a few minutes ago raising the steering wheel made it go off. Sometimes it's putting the truck into drive/reverse. A few times it goes off while cruising down the interstate in a straight line. Just weird.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The plug for a brake controller is usually located over there by the emergency brake pedal. Without pictures, it's hard to tell.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
So tonight I went plug hunting, mainly because I am still having the airbag chime and light issue.

Two questions:
Anyone know what these are for/go to?
When did the rams first have floor lighting?

This one is mounted downward between the hood release and the center dash (hvac/radio) area. If I pull teh cap off it reveals a plug with roughly 20 pins.. but it's covered with a cap, nothing plugged into it.
YWdToTe.jpg

This one is mounted above teh parking brake pedal assembly.
8SvmkVO.jpg
fix it for you

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
Whats you do Crazzy? I pasted the correct url earlier.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Whats you do Crazzy? I pasted the correct url earlier.
you pasted a link to the page where the pictures are instead of links to the actual pictures. i went to the page they were on and right clicked on the pictures and copied image address and then pasted it in the box like you did.

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
BUmp.. now that the pics are here anyone got any clues? Any of you guys have the same plugs on your 3rd gens?

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
Would anyone with a 3rd gen mind taking a look under their dash to see if you have plugs list these?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't believe that's the obd2 port or the brake controller plug. I only see one or two wires coming out of the plug in the 2nd pic, and a brake controller plug has more wires than that. Also should be a different color and I don't believe it uses the red lock either.

If I remember I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if I can find them. The first one though doesn't look factory to me. 2nd one almost looks like the plug for an ebrake switch or something.

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
The small loom witht eh green, red, blue wires goes to an ignition disabling device. Let me get a shot of that connector without the cover on it. I had someone else suggest that it might be for trailer brakes.

OP
OP
S

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
Ok so tonight after adding some LED's to teh ashtray and cup holder area by accident I discovered that the connector that's plugged nearest the center console has something to do with the comms bus. Unplugged and starting the truck teh odometer area displayed 'no bus'.