new sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Oklahemi has been helping me out selecting stuff that works with my truck...i can't thank him enough for minimizing my headaches....but here's the details

Front doors - Hertz Hi-Energy Component HSK 165's with the remote tweeter in the dash corners
Rear Doors - Hertz Energy ECX 165's 2-way Coax
Headunit - Kenwood Excelion KDC-X695 (thought it was the 895, damn small print)
I left the stock tweeter in the center of the dash..couldn't find one I liked.

The system sounds awesome. It's bright and the mids and highs are really clear, has a little trouble with the lows, so I need a sub, but I can't find anywhere to put it without sacrificing space, or spending $900 on that stealthbox console thing. If you can find a dealer that carries Hertz, I'd strongly recommend you at least give them a listen.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
Sweet I'm glad its all in. it maybe cheaper to build one like jj did and have it covered professionally since you dont like the finish work

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm scared to let myself tread on sound system waters again...I got WAY too deep on my first and second trucks.

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
yeah, like anything else, sound stuff can get expensive quickly. But I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ****** tired of listening to mediocre local radio with a system that only half way worked. The oem driver's door speaker didn't put out sound 90% of the time, 9% was muffled buzzing crap, and I've only heard clear audio come through it once so we'll call that 1%. The passenger door speaker buzzed with certain frequencies, the rear passenger speaker buzzed almost constantly, which leaves the rear drivers door speaker and the 3 in the dash the only speakers providing my audio...NOT fun, nor enjoyable. Even if I don't get a sub, I'm a million times happier with this just because it sounds good, all the speakers work, and it has the interfaces I wanted so I can listen to what I want, when I want. I forgot to add in my original post that I also got the module to retain my steering wheel controls...after all safety IS #1.
Another edit..not to entirely bash the infinity system, but they put the stock radio in the back seat and it smells like electrically burnt ****.....so I'm sure that wasn't helping the OEM stuff either.

Last edited:

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't realize you were having problems to begin with...if I did it would be all the motivation needed to jump in headlong. I think you should definitely add a nice 10" or (my preference) 12" sub to balance the sound. I was never into DB drags or massive amounts of bass that overwhelmed the system. I was more into SQ competitions, but never entered one since it's completely subjective to the "judges." I just built it for me and at it's peak it was amazing.

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
im with you...i don't want to have so much bass that it's nauseating...I've been in cars like that...it's not enjoyable. I want the subs to complete the sound...not take it over.

I have a couple of rockford 10's I could take out of my S10, but like I said, I'm having trouble finding a spot for them where they won't be in the way. =(

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i have that flat loading floor in the back and i use it like you wouldn't believe...I've been toying with the idea of taking out smaller section on the drivers side and doing it that way but im still undecided.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I was going to suggest. You could probably do fine with a single 10" as long as you have a good amp to power it. That way you could just use one of the storage spaces back there and leave the other available.

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i may go that route since I already have a 10'' sub and a good amp. How do insulate that floor to keep it quiet? It's already Rattely Rattleson with my exhaust at certain pitches.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dynamat? On my '04 I gutted the interior (with exception of the dash) and lined the roof, floor, doors, and back wall with sound deadening material. That was when I had planned on doing a system, which I never did.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
def. get a 10" and put it in a sealed box.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice setup man! I replaced the head unit in my truck asap and installed a sub and amp, next are the door speakers.

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
thanks! im going to expand a little bit on it, but I called to find out how much those stealthboxes are...the console one is $800, the single unit that fits in the storage compartment under the rear seat is $700...f that.