No power to anything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having a bit of an issue with my truck, it runs and starts normally, just as it should, but when the key is not in the ignition the truck has to power to anything. Cab lights, headlights, clock, and locks should work without the key needing to be in the ignition. I believe this started a few weeks ago, I noticed the smell of burning and the cab filled with smoke, a few days before that happened I installed an (admittedly sketchy) inverter for AC power, I thought that was where the smoke was coming from, but it still works fine. Another peculiar thing is that the radio wont turn on, the lights on it work, but no display or sound. I thought it may just be a fuse or relay, but I cant seem to find any damage (although I havent pulled apart the whole dash yet). Has anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts on what to look for? Thanks.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn that sounds bad. Only thing I can think of is to check every single fuse in the truck. Usually though by the time smoke shows up the damage has been done.

OP
OP
A

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well turns out it was the IOD fuse (51), which is the one that is separate from all the other fuses in its own housing. I put a new fuse in and blew it once I reconnected the battery, but once I disconnected the radio it worked fine. Still not sure what the issue is though, but it is working again (just no radio).