Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Audio & Electronics

Audio & Electronics

Noob question about speakers

This is a discussion on Noob question about speakers within the Audio & Electronics forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Hey guys, I've never ventured into this part of the forum before, and I have zero audio experience. My truck ...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Noob question about speakers
Hey guys,

I've never ventured into this part of the forum before, and I have zero audio experience. My truck is an 06 regular cab, and I find the stock speakers really suck. I was wondering, beside the door speakers, are there any others in the truck?

Also, Will replacing the speakers alone give me better sound quality? My '14 grand caravan can jam harder than my truck can, and sounds way better.

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Performance
Monroe Quik-struts, Airaid MIT, SC 87 tune
usaf2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 3.6
Not 100% sure on your truck but I know when I just replaced the speakers in my SRT4 and my Challenger it made a pretty big difference in sound quality.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
JPT

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 4.7 V8
Originally Posted by usaf2006 View Post
Hey guys,

I've never ventured into this part of the forum before, and I have zero audio experience. My truck is an 06 regular cab, and I find the stock speakers really suck. I was wondering, beside the door speakers, are there any others in the truck?

Also, Will replacing the speakers alone give me better sound quality? My '14 grand caravan can jam harder than my truck can, and sounds way better.

Thanks!
My regular cab has speakers behind the seat in the B pillars. There are 4 (2 in each door, and 2 in the B pillar). I have a base truck regular cab long bed.

I have all 4 changed, and an old 10" bazooka tube (from the 90's) with a 200W amp feeding it. I also have a Pioneer NEX-4100 head unit (with Apple CarPlay). The sound in my truck is not show quality, but it is one of the best I've ever had.

The problem I have with a short cab is, there just isn't that much volume in there (it could be my setup), the sound is WAY better with the windows open.
usaf2006 likes this.
JPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: 2014 Big Horn Crew
Engine: HEMI 6.4L
The stock headunit can be a factor here in sound quality. But, to answer your question, an upgrade is indicated. I've seen OEM speakers from quite a few MOPAR products and I have to say each one of those speaker sizes and types, regardless of the brand name of the system they say they are using (Alpine, Boston Acoustics, etc...), the speakers were made under contract to factory spec and I bet they cost FCA all of 0.25 each to buy.

Crutchfield has what you need and can tell you what size speakers go in each location of the cab if you want to start there for basic info. Then, if you have an audio shop nearby, I'd highly recommend you go listen to different speakers.

Lastly, I suspect your speakers are rated at 2 ohms so you'll want to keep that in mind while shopping.

Good luck!

ps: a good amp and upgraded head unit would be indicated but you don't need to spend that kind of money right now for an improvement in SQ.
usaf2006 likes this.

AFE / ARMA COAT / BFG KO2 / DIABLOSPORT / HEMIFEVER
MAGNAFLOW / N-FAB / PIAA / PRO TECH / TUFF COUNTRY / WALKER EVANS RACING

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 3.7
One other thing to keep in mind:

I've seen a lot of people buy really badass speakers only to be disappointed with the sound when running them off the stock headunit. A lot of the issues have to do with power requirements. Most stock headunits put out about 7 watts of power. Most good speakers are rated at around 50 watts continuous power. With only 7 watts, you're not putting out nearly enough power to move the heavier components inside a 50 watt speaker, so it will sound horrible compared to a cheaper speaker that was designed to run off of lower power.
usaf2006 likes this.
Bullitt5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: 2014 Big Horn Crew
Engine: HEMI 6.4L
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
One other thing to keep in mind:

I've seen a lot of people buy really badass speakers only to be disappointed with the sound when running them off the stock headunit. A lot of the issues have to do with power requirements. Most stock headunits put out about 7 watts of power. Most good speakers are rated at around 50 watts continuous power. With only 7 watts, you're not putting out nearly enough power to move the heavier components inside a 50 watt speaker, so it will sound horrible compared to a cheaper speaker that was designed to run off of lower power.
I've seen this mistake made a LOT.

AFE / ARMA COAT / BFG KO2 / DIABLOSPORT / HEMIFEVER
MAGNAFLOW / N-FAB / PIAA / PRO TECH / TUFF COUNTRY / WALKER EVANS RACING

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll certainly be back with more questions once I figure out exactly I want to do. So far I think I might just upgrade the stock speakers a bit, but I sure would like get a new unit, pref with Navigation and what not. We'll see tho!
Core-Lokt likes this.

Performance
Monroe Quik-struts, Airaid MIT, SC 87 tune
usaf2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 3.7
I really want to start upgrading the audio in the truck. I have a room full of trophies that I won when I was in the business, so it's sad to have all stock audio, but I know that once I start on the audio it will consume my resources which have been all going into the suspension. I want to get the suspension 100% done in the truck before I start on it and I really want Android Auto in there, so that'll be a major expense from the get-go.
usaf2006 likes this.
Bullitt5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine: 5.7L
Stock front 6X9s on left, new Kickers on right.

Like others mentioned, you replace any one component and you get better results. And then you find it limiting. I'm going to install an amp in the new year.
usaf2006 likes this.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
JPT

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 4.7 V8
Originally Posted by usaf2006 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll certainly be back with more questions once I figure out exactly I want to do. So far I think I might just upgrade the stock speakers a bit, but I sure would like get a new unit, pref with Navigation and what not. We'll see tho!
When you do decide to look for a head unit, consider the newer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto units like mine. It uses the phone's gps while charging the phone. Build in GPS units are old news now. You have to pay for updated maps, some you even have to pay for traffic. Being able to use the phones Siri (voice activation) is also a nice touch.

My NEX 4100 has it's quirks, since it is a very new thing, but I wouldn't pay any extra for a build in GPS unit. I would buy my head unit if given the choice again.

usaf2006 likes this.
JPT is offline   Reply With Quote