Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Audio & Electronics

Audio & Electronics

Noob question about speakers

This is a discussion on Noob question about speakers within the Audio & Electronics forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
I hope they fixed those quirks in the 4200, since that's what I'm supposedly getting for XMas from my oldest ...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 3.7
I hope they fixed those quirks in the 4200, since that's what I'm supposedly getting for XMas from my oldest son.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Bullitt5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: Power tech 3.7L
The rears are 5.25" speakers and they require removing the bucket and pillars to get too super big pain but they sound better since they're right next to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usaf2006 likes this.

CAI
Lil_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
JPT

Ram Year: 2015 Big Horn
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
I hope they fixed those quirks in the 4200, since that's what I'm supposedly getting for XMas from my oldest son.
Even if they didn't, you wont be upset at all. Every once in a while you have to disconnect your phone and reconnect it. I'm 100% glad I got it, even with the quirks. I use mine daily as I commute 26 miles each way to work. GPS and Podcasts apps are my go to, and my phone is always fully charged!
Bullitt5339 likes this.
JPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: Hemi 5.7
I use Straight Talk so i have unlimited Data, which would make it nice. I'll be updating my phone in a few months too.. Maybe it'd be a good time to do it all at once. How hard is the install?

usaf2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
JPT

Originally Posted by usaf2006 View Post
I use Straight Talk so i have unlimited Data, which would make it nice. I'll be updating my phone in a few months too.. Maybe it'd be a good time to do it all at once. How hard is the install?
I went to PC Richards (like a best buy), they have free installs. I brought in the metra trim piece so they had it for the install (I got mine on Amazon, but crutchfield sells it much cheaper).

I'm not sure how difficult the job is, but I know there is some cutting of the dash.

If you may change phones, you might want to consider a unit like mine that has Android Auto & Apple CarPlay not just one or the other. This way if you switch platforms you are good to go.
usaf2006 likes this.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 3.7
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
Even if they didn't, you wont be upset at all. Every once in a while you have to disconnect your phone and reconnect it. I'm 100% glad I got it, even with the quirks. I use mine daily as I commute 26 miles each way to work. GPS and Podcasts apps are my go to, and my phone is always fully charged!
Your commute is the exact same mileage as mine.
Bullitt5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Originally Posted by JPT View Post
I went to PC Richards (like a best buy), they have free installs. I brought in the metra trim piece so they had it for the install (I got mine on Amazon, but crutchfield sells it much cheaper).

I'm not sure how difficult the job is, but I know there is some cutting of the dash.

If you may change phones, you might want to consider a unit like mine that has Android Auto & Apple CarPlay not just one or the other. This way if you switch platforms you are good to go.
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine: 5.7L
Originally Posted by usaf2006 View Post
The basic install isn't especially difficult. As JPT mentioned, you have to cut out the back pf the inner plastic dash liner to accommodate the depth of a double-DIN. The Metra bezel requires popping off the center dash cover, removing the plastic welds retaining the stock bezel and screwing the new bezel (with included spacers) to the center dash cover. Additionally, there might need to be some relieving of the HU opening if the dimensions are slightly oversize, as I had to. None of this requires power tools.

It gets a little more difficult if trying to integrate some factory options into a new HU. It *might* necessitate interface modules to make stuff work. And if your intended HU has features like navigation/camera/DVR, you'll need to wire for all that. You can see some of the stuff in my thread about Android HUs.

Data? I have an Android HU, which is far more capable, if tedious. I've never used more than 2 GB of data, even with watching TV. I can't say what apps Android Auto/CarPlay have, but some streaming radio apps have selectable bitrate playback; good for data management or when signal is spotty. IIRC, I've got TuneIn on 128 KB and PC Radio on 64 KB.

But yeah, it's definitely within DIY means if you want to. Even if you get someone to install it, you'll love the multimedia capabilities.
usaf2006 likes this.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

That's exactly what I want I'm the end. Thanks! I'll be sure to check out your thread.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
JPT

To add to Core-Lokt stated. The Pioneer units like mine have a detachable face, which adds an extra layer of complexity with the fitting. Because the Metra trim piece fits almost perfectly with the face of the HU, and the 4100 or newer 4200 have a motorized screen angle (if you use it, mine is set to flat), removing and reinstalling the face plate requires the HU placement to be just right. I did have to bring it back to my installer to get him to adjust it as it was impossible for me to put the face plate back on in the initial position.

After he adjusted it, the fit is tight (removal and reinstall of the face plate), but works.
usaf2006 likes this.