Old to Audio, New to Can Bus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landyacht67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First let me say that I read the Audio Upgrade Basics sticky at the top of the page and found it very helpful. I have a couple of questions though.

I just bought an 07 ram Quad Cab. Searching around there seems to be 2 types of harnesses available, ones that either retain or bypass the Dodge amp.

If I use a harness that eliminates the factory amp, (Pac audio C2R-CHYNA, or Metra Metra Part # 70-6510 | Dodge Ram wire harness | Metra Online) do I then have to run my own wire to the individual speakers, or is the sound just looped past the amp and I connect to the harness. The Metra kits seems to indicate that it's power only, and the Pac Audio kit seems to say just power, and illumination. I'm fairly familiar with car audio (I was a full time installer until around 15 years ago), and I know this shouldn't be too difficult, maybe I'm overthinkng it?

Alternatively if I retain the factory amp it seems like all the kits I search have been discontinued.

All I really want to do at the end of the day is a basic headunit swap with the option later to be able to tag a sub on using the head units rca's

Thanks
Julian

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That harness you have listed will just bypass the factory amp. You will still have to use a can bus radio harness as well. You don't have to run speaker wires. That's what the amp bypass harness does is retains the factory wiring but gets the amp out of the circuit

Car Navi Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram
Engine
Hemi 6.1
It depends on how do you want the aftermarket head unit work on your car.
If you want to use the factory amplifier, then just need to find out the audio wires and amplifier remote turn on wire.
If you don't like the factory amplifier, then use the bypass harness.