Outside air temp overhead display incorrect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJINTF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure hope someone can help me with this one, it's driving me $#$#% CRAZY

The outside temperature display on the CMTC is most of the time stuck at 32F but sometimes goes to -40F. This issue only just started up a few weeks ago. The truck runs great with no other issues

Replaced the Temp sensor with NO Change to the issue, checked the wiring all OK

Did the CMTC Diagnostic with the button press key turn thing and with my DRBIII both passed. Additionally the other display data on the overhead display works as expected.

Using my DRBIII I can clearly see the PROPER voltage and temperature as a PCM sensor input which varies with outside temp and matches and external thermometer. I believe my NGC system does not use the FCM interface to the Ambient temp sensor as many do. Checked the wiring from the sensor it does not go to the IPM / FCM.

Removing the ambient sensor from the connector causes the A/C Condensor fan to come on and creates a PCM DTC along with -40 reading as a PCM sensor input and display on the overhead.

The truck details
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab 5.7l Hemi WB 4WD ST
PCM NGC Part # 56028773AF.03 Type: NGC2 3E07V05.0
CMTC Part # 56045573AF