P1491 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So yesterday got extremely cold by me, truck was perfectly fine going from my girlfriends house back to mine. When I got to my house I just ran in for a couple minutes to grab a few things then leave. Truck was running whole time and was already warm at this point. After 5 minutes of leaving my house my engine light came on. Had my brother in law scan it when I met up with him and it threw P1491 code which stated Radiator Fan Relay Circuit. I read some Google stuff and saw some people saying from the cold it popped the fuse and to wait till its warming to replace. Truck is a 02 1500 4.7l with 113k on it. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue before and if so what did you do? Also should I wait till its warmer to try replacing fuse?

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I have a '03 Ram 1500 4.7 and I've never had that issue with the cold. And it's been cold..!! Not sure why it happened to you, but I'd just replace the fuse and see what it does. Might just of been an isolated incident.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I thought it was odd too of weather because this truck has been in these types of cold conditions before. Google just said that, but also some people did say they had to replace the AC condenser fan.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a multimeter and unplug the radiator fan. With the engine running and the ac switched on, test the harness for voltage. It should be over 14 volts. If it has voltage then your fan is probably bad. If it doesn't have voltage then it's probably the fuse or relay.

There's nothing special about the fan fuse that would just make it break because of the cold. It could have just been a random incident, or the fan is going bad and drawing too much amperage causing it to pop.