Radio intermittent issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Hello,

I recently bought a 2007 Ram 1500 4.7 and I'm having intermittent issues with the radio.

One minute everything is fine.

The next minute, the volume cuts out and It goes to level 0. Turning the volume knob it just cycles between 0 and 1.

When I get in the truck the next time again it'll be fine, or it'll still not work.

What could be causing this? Loose connection somewhere or does it sound like the head unit is going on it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Markw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Time for a new battery. My 2006 Ram and my wife's 2006 Durango did that with a weak battery. Have the battery checked.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like your radio is shot. I've never heard of a battery causing this issue but I guess anything is possible. You can get it load tested but I bet it's going to need another radio.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Time for a new battery. My 2006 Ram and my wife's 2006 Durango did that with a weak battery. Have the battery checked.
Is checking the battery something I can do myself. I am a HVAC mechanic and have tools for diagnosing electrical problems, I'm just not experienced testing batteries.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Sounds to me like your radio is shot. I've never heard of a battery causing this issue but I guess anything is possible. You can get it load tested but I bet it's going to need another radio.
I'll look in to battery testing first.

If the radio is shot. Is it best I just pick up a replacement stock radio from a scrap yard or is it relatively easy to install a replacement after market one myself.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can see battery voltage with a multimeter, but that won't tell you if it is actually good. You'll need to get it load tested which is something that can be done at most car shops.

As far as the radio, personally I prefer an aftermarket radio but since yours is an 07 the parts to do it will be a little more expensive. I'd compare what you can get a factory radio for against total cost to have an aftermarket one installed. Keep in mind the aftermarket radio is usually going to have many more features.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
You can see battery voltage with a multimeter, but that won't tell you if it is actually good. You'll need to get it load tested which is something that can be done at most car shops.

As far as the radio, personally I prefer an aftermarket radio but since yours is an 07 the parts to do it will be a little more expensive. I'd compare what you can get a factory radio for against total cost to have an aftermarket one installed. Keep in mind the aftermarket radio is usually going to have many more features.
I really only listen to sports talk radio. Features I'm not really concerned with as long the AM/FM and AUX work I'm happy. I'm taking the truck in to a family friend to have him get it a once over, I'll ask him to check the battery. Thanks.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be leery of that radio. Even for a Chinese unit that seems pretty cheap.

But no, that kit in the link won't work. If your factory radio doesn't have navigation, you will either need a new dash bezel to install a double din, or to do a lot of cutting to make a double din work.

Also, since your truck is an 07, you need one of the canbus harnesses. These are generally more expensive and usually have a little black box in them that "talks" to the data system in the truck. They are usually around 80 dollars or more.

You will also need an antenna adapter, which is fairly cheap.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I would be leery of that radio. Even for a Chinese unit that seems pretty cheap.

But no, that kit in the link won't work. If your factory radio doesn't have navigation, you will either need a new dash bezel to install a double din, or to do a lot of cutting to make a double din work.

Also, since your truck is an 07, you need one of the canbus harnesses. These are generally more expensive and usually have a little black box in them that "talks" to the data system in the truck. They are usually around 80 dollars or more.

You will also need an antenna adapter, which is fairly cheap.
Doesn't the stereo dash kit link from eBay allow a double din to be installed?

I believe it also comes with a the antenna adaptor as well.

I'm not really worried about the navigation part as I already have a GPS, just working sound is good enough for me.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I see what you mean now, the existing radio is smaller than a double din, it's only 88-90mm. So I would have to get a whole dash thing to accomodate a double din or like you said cut it out.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I found some oem replacements I'll probably just go with one of those to avoid wasting any money farting around with the aftermarket stuff.

That is after I get the battery tested.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't the stereo dash kit link from eBay allow a double din to be installed?

I believe it also comes with a the antenna adaptor as well.

I'm not really worried about the navigation part as I already have a GPS, just working sound is good enough for me.

What I'm saying is, if your factory radio does not have navigation, the opening in your dash cannot physically fit a double din radio. You'll have to cut it out and with that dash kit, it'll look like crap because the edges will be exposed.

Metra makes a dash kit that lets you install a double din radio in a non-navigation bezel, but you still have to cut your dash opening out and then snap a cover over the hole.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just now saw that you said you figured out what I meant lol. I didn't go to the 2nd page before I responded.

But anyway, yeah putting a double din into an 06 and up truck that had no navigation is a little bit of work and money. Both with the dash, and the wiring.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I just now saw that you said you figured out what I meant lol. I didn't go to the 2nd page before I responded.

But anyway, yeah putting a double din into an 06 and up truck that had no navigation is a little bit of work and money. Both with the dash, and the wiring.
I can get a refurbished oem on eBay for like $125. So Its still the cheapest and easiest option.

Thanks for the info.