Rear door speaker mod question, getting new head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigHorn777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys getting a new Pioneer deh-80prs, can not wait to get this unit as it is a higher end audiophiles dream, considered double din and stage 4 but this deck has all I need with the high end audio features for lots less. I have had an old Premier deck that I have loved until the ribbon cable started to give me issues. Sooo my question is has anyone cut the rear door to put a bigger speaker into it? I am looking to put in some 6x9 into the rear. I have some old Kenwood high end speakers in the rig now but I hate the small 6" rear door speakers. I want something that gives me a more fuller range, bass mids and highs so that means 6 x 9 or the equivalent. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated and if you have done this mod, please send me some photo's or a link to it.

HEMIsteveical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting idea. I've wondered the same thing as recently as last week. The sound is horrible back there,at least from the front. I can't help you yet,but I'll be watchin'. :) Nice-looking truck.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
the advice that I give everyone when discussing rear speakers is just ditch them. You want all your sound coming from in front of you. If you MUST use rear speakers, there is no reason to cut your doors for 6x9s. A good 6.5 will do everything you need.

Bog8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replaced all 4 speakers with Polk Audios. Gotta say the 6.5s in the back may sound better than the 6x9s in the front. But then again anything would sound better than the stock speakers.
I will be interested in knowing if you can put 6x9s in the back though.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
the advice that I give everyone when discussing rear speakers is just ditch them. You want all your sound coming from in front of you. If you MUST use rear speakers, there is no reason to cut your doors for 6x9s. A good 6.5 will do everything you need.

forget rear door speakers on a 4 door truck?

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
forget rear door speakers on a 4 door truck?
yep. I have a megacab and run no rear speakers. I want all my sound coming from in front of me. I dont go to a concert and sit with my back to the stage, so why would i want speakers behind me. My front components give me all the sound that I need sitting in my front seat, and I havent had any complaints from anyone in the rear (not that i worry about what the kids think, they both have ipods). Its just my opinion

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
odd, 4 door trucks are to carry companions, and having them miss most of the music is beyond me. Oh well, to each their own.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Good for you, bad for companions :)
But i do understand your premise.

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm kind of on the rope with that idea, I have 6.5 components in the front, and no rear speakers, but I want to add a little bit of fill so thinking of buying some for the rear, just seems to be missing some low/mid range sound.

And pertaining to OP's question, as said before you shouldn't need to run any bigger speakers in the rear, I think if you put a good 6-3/4 in there it should sound good.

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yep. I have a megacab and run no rear speakers. I want all my sound coming from in front of me. I dont go to a concert and sit with my back to the stage, so why would i want speakers behind me. My front components give me all the sound that I need sitting in my front seat, and I havent had any complaints from anyone in the rear (not that i worry about what the kids think, they both have ipods). Its just my opinion

Im assuming you don't enjoy surround sound?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2