remote start issue. need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07PV64x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i just bought a nice 07 1500 and the only and only problem with the truck is the remote start.

yes its a factory one and my build sheet shows it was a factory install not dealer.

I press the button twice on the remote/key but it wont start. But the horn honks, lights flash and doors lock but no signs of the starter activating.

So i had found that the hood switch(pass side fender) was missing but got one at the junkyard installed it and still nothing. its full of fuel and battery seems pretty strong.

so is there anything else that can block it out from starting? plus where is the fuse box for the interior stuff and the RKE module? im used to it being in the driver dash side but nothing is there

OP
OP

07PV64x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
on my remote it has the circle with arrow x2 indicating the remote start logo/function

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without a scan tool to check the remote start inhibit status it is hard to say. Any check engine light? That will stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
A check engine light will prevent the remote start from working.

I'd look more into that hood switch and confirm it's good.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see you started this thread seperately from your other one so I'll post here, I would also make sure you have the correct hood switch for your truck, 06 and up use a canbus data system to control most things (including the remote start) and is extremely picky about stuff so I would start off by just getting a hood switch for your exact truck from the dealer. That way we can absolutely rule out whether or not that is the issue. Probably won't be extremely expensive. And like has been said before you can also get the truck scanned and make sure there are no cel codes.

Another thing to check for, since your hood switch was removed, is the hood switch striker plate. Should be mounted to the hood where the switch contacts the hood. Without it the hood won't push the switch down far enough to activate it and the truck will think the hood is open.

Worst case scenario, you could pay a dealership a diagnosis fee and the can probably plug into it and read what is preventing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

07PV64x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the switch ordered. and i am waiting on that. no CEL but start my job at my local chrysler dealer tomorrow. Might see if I can use a scan tool to see the live data etc. the mounting plate is there but no switch so I will wait it out to see if all it was is the missing switch hopefully. once I get the new switch installed would I need to do anything such as reset the system like disconnect the battery or anything to refresh something?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't worry about trying to watch any live data. You need to look at the inhibit monitor for the remote start. It will say exactly why it is not operating. Congrats on the new job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I say striker plate I was talking about the part that goes on the hood that the hood switch itself contacts. Not the switch bracket. Just so you know what we're talking about here is the striker plate. Without this part the hood switch won't get pushed down when the hood closes.

9212DD55-6C2F-4098-B65A-4708F4C63611.jpg

OP
OP

07PV64x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I say striker plate I was talking about the part that goes on the hood that the hood switch itself contacts. Not the switch bracket. Just so you know what we're talking about here is the striker plate. Without this part the hood switch won't get pushed down when the hood closes.

9212DD55-6C2F-4098-B65A-4708F4C63611.jpg

Yes i have that exact plate along with the bracket on the fender.:):):)