Speaker Resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I currently just put some Rockford Fosgate 6x9's in my doors that are 4 ohms.

With the OEM Infinity speakers, they are only 2 ohm 6x9's.

I was told I need to add some resistors to bring the 4 ohms down to 2 ohms
[right now they have static when the bass is turned up]

Can someone show me what kind of resistors I need to do this?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the only think i could find was getting a 4ohm resistor and wiring it in parallel with the speaker. Not sure if that will do it though. Sounds like a good excuse for an aftermarket deck...lol

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hahahah that's an option, but i just dunno. So all the new aftermarket head units are 4 ohms?
I want a double din...

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i won't give you a yes because I don't know if all are. I bet you will find most of them are though.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats weird. Didn't know the stock speakers were 2 ohms. I agree though, just get an after market HU.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I'm pretty sure it's just the infinity systems that are 2 ohm on the 3rd gens.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could always just get an LOC, run it to an amp, and then run your new speakers off the amp...

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
nooo don't tell her that...she needs a double din....LOL

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the thing I always have a hard time explaining to people. You cant just plug in speakers and have them work correctly unless your buying the exact same stuff.

If your upgrading your speakers, you need to upgrade the cars amplifier for them as well. I don't see any point in spending money on new speakers and not giving them the power they need.

Dont get me wrong, you can install a speaker in the door and have the stock amp power it but it wont sound as good as it should (giving you issues and static) and doing a full system isn't much work.

The headunit doesn't doesn't really matter in the audio build, its all in the speakers you buy and the amps you buy. The last thing I would do is buy speakers before looking at amps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What's a LOC?

I have a Kicker 750 amp under my seat, but it's only powering a 10" sub behind my seat. The rest of the speakers are powered off the Infinity system.

I didn't even know there was a difference in the 6x9s or else I wouldnt have bought them lol

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
LOC = Line output converter......something you must already have since you have an amp and sub

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have no idea, I was just going to buy some other 2 ohm 6x9s and get rid of the Rockfords. But a friend said I could use resistors, but I just don't know which ones. The nearest audio shop is 30 min away so I was just kinda wondering if anyone would know.

I am "audio system illiterate" and have no clue, lol.

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a 4ohm resistor will work its the voltage of the resistor that gets tricky voltage equals watts if voltage to low resistor will fry cheap easy fix but a after market deck will eliminate the problem and future problems and overall sound quality is better anyways

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Alrighty! Thanks so much for yall's help! I guess I need to start shoppin around hehehe

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
dont know if factory speakers are 2 or 4ohm in second gen but when i upgraded a friends truck i had stactic and it turned out that i had pos and neg backwards on one speaker just a thought

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
yeah, I tried it both ways, and then I got some pioneer 6x9s and it was static too. Tried the infinity's back again and it was back to sounding good, just the speakers are blown but no static noise. That's all I could figure out that would cause the static was the diff in ohms

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i dont understand why you would get static when you replace your stock speakers. even if its amped frm the factory. I have done this in the past and I did it with my ram with no issues. I have the alpine system in my ram and new speakers made a world of difference. ALso the difference between 2 and 4 ohms is not a big deal. you will be fine hooking 4 ohm speakers to what was 2 ohms. To the human ear you will not know the difference. Unless you are going to enter audio competitions.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
ALso the difference between 2 and 4 ohms is not a big deal. you will be fine hooking 4 ohm speakers to what was 2 ohms. To the human ear you will not know the difference. Unless you are going to enter audio competitions.

Well right now when I turn my bass up, there is a high pitched static noise, it wasn't doing that with the stock infinity ones. The only difference other than brand is the ohms, so that's why I was thinking that

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i never match ohms. most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms anyway. Sounds like there is something wrong. wiring or something. or the speakers are bad. If it was me I would unhook all the aftermarket speakers and rehook them one at a time and see if its all or one. Usually i test each one individually when I do installs.