Stock Infinity System Help/ Amp Getting Power??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcgsxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Hey all, just bought my first ram last weekend. 07 1500 SLT Big Horn Quad Cab 4.7 with the Infinity sound system. The previous owner had an aftermarket stereo and sub/amp I'm guessing from the wires under the back seat. He pulled it all when he traded it in and replace the stock head unit.

I am thinking he somehow bypassed the factory amp. All the speakers play but I have no bass at all. Pulled the dash and everything is hooked up as far as I can tell. Looked at the factory amp and it looked hooked up as well. Is there a way to tell if the factory amp is getting power? Do stock amps have settings that you can adjust on the amp itself?

I have some stereo experience but not with the canbus? style or stock stereos for that matter. Any help is much appreciated.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, just bought my first ram last weekend. 07 1500 SLT Big Horn Quad Cab 4.7 with the Infinity sound system. The previous owner had an aftermarket stereo and sub/amp I'm guessing from the wires under the back seat. He pulled it all when he traded it in and replace the stock head unit.

I am thinking he somehow bypassed the factory amp. All the speakers play but I have no bass at all. Pulled the dash and everything is hooked up as far as I can tell. Looked at the factory amp and it looked hooked up as well. Is there a way to tell if the factory amp is getting power? Do stock amps have settings that you can adjust on the amp itself?

I have some stereo experience but not with the canbus? style or stock stereos for that matter. Any help is much appreciated.

If the factory amp wasn't getting power you would have no sound at all. So it is getting power. And no the factory amps do not have any adjustments.

So you have the factory radio back in? Or an aftermarket one? Either way make sure you go in to the settings and set the bass where you want it.

In the infinity systems, the amp is also a crossover. It sends high frequencies to the dash speakers, and low frequencies (bass) to the door speakers. The back door speakers get lows and highs (full range).

I'd pull the door panels off, and see if you have door speakers even installed, and if they are, check to see if they are factory speakers or aftermarket, and make sure that they are connected inside the door.

OP
OP
G

gmcgsxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I do have the factory head unit, I have sound from all the speakers. Adjusting the bass on the settings in the stereo does nothing. The overall sound in the truck sounds like 1970's stereo. Not really sure how to desribe it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have the factory head unit, I have sound from all the speakers. Adjusting the bass on the settings in the stereo does nothing. The overall sound in the truck sounds like 1970's stereo. Not really sure how to desribe it.

Pull your front door panels off and verify if they're stock speakers or not and if they're even hooked up.

OP
OP
G

gmcgsxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Will pull the panels and let you know what I find. Thank you for the suggestions but if I'm getting sound from them they would be hooked up, correct? Could it be the speakers are blown? Looked behind the glove box today and I did see some aftwermarket speaker wire tapped off the front right tweeter in the dash.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're sure there is sound coming from the door speakers then yes they are hooked up. It's hard to tell what the person before you did. Bypassing all of the infinity stuff is your best option if you are having issues with it, unfortunately due to the complexity of it and the integrated can bus stuff it's very expensive to do.

OP
OP
G

gmcgsxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
So I figured out the problem. Person before me had tapped off the tweeters to feed the door speakers so he had highs in his doors instead. Thanks for all the help. He did put in some Hertz 6x9s in the doors and they sound pretty decent. Thanks for all the help!

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two front door speakers are subs on the infinity system, The speakers are supposed to be replaced with a sub type 6x9 when you change them, With a after market system you can replace them with a regular 6x9.