Sub box question...

Which is better for under-the-seat sub boxes?

• Sealed

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Vented

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i have a dual 10" ported foxbox and i like the way it sounds

here is a quick read that may help

Sealed vs. Ported

When choosing a subowofer box, the decision between sealed and ported will determine how the final install will sound. The general rule for this choice is fairly simple.

Sealed subwoofer boxes generally are much smaller than ported enclosures. If you're limited on space, it would probably be a good idea to go with a sealed enclosure. Not only is there a size difference, but there is also a difference in sound between the two enclosures. Sealed enclosures tend to produce tight, accurate bass and have a flat frequency response curve. They are also generally the enclosure of choice when looking for a SQ (Sound Quality) oriented setup.

Ported boxes can get very large and have many varying factors that will determine their size and sound output. Ported enclosures produce louder bass than sealed enclosures, and allow you to tune the box to a specific frequency to determine how the bass will sound. Higher tuning on a ported box will get louder, but at the expense of sound quality. Lower tuning will still get louder than a sealed box, and at the same time will yield fairly good sound quality.

Port area and port type also plays a role in ported enclosures. Too little port area for the subwoofer box can result in port noise, which can severely detract from the sound quality of your setup. To much port area can also have a negative impact on the sound quality. However, if your goal is to get loud and not care about sound quality, then a ported box, tuned high, with a large amount of port area is the way to go.

Personal preference and size limitations will both play a role in the decision between sealed or ported enclosures. If you have the room, and you want to get loud, go with a ported box. If you're limited on space or are looking for the best sound quality possible, it would generally be best to go with a sealed box. Either way, as long as the specifications of the subwoofer box are within the subwoofer manufacturer's recommended box specifications, you should be safe with either choice.

OP
OP
GoMangoMan

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow thanks Mike.
The room under the seat is what it is. Fox Acoustics is coming out with a sealed box and a vented box and was unsure of which way to go ... if I choose a Foxbox at all. You indicated that you have a ported (vented) dual 10" Foxbox and you seem happy with it. Would you be as happy if it were sealed? Happier? Not as happy? This is what I'm try to decide as I seem to get different stories. Knowing what kind of music is mostly played always comes up in the conversation too. There must be a definitive answer for the middle ground music listener without getting "muddy" bass.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I think it all depends on the subs . I have 2 10" alpines I had a ported box and it was ok then I sealed it and 100% deeper and louder .

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Rob,
In my opinion you will be better suited with a sealed enclosure.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Smaller enclosures are better sealed, and bigger are sometimes better ported. It depends on the subs and the amount of area.

NOTW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sealed, there's just not enough air space available to build a quality ported box.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I have done both..........and every time I do a ported I want a sealed.

OP
OP
GoMangoMan

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess sealed is the answer. I really needed to hear from you guys because I really don't want to do this more than once. Once again, this site provides the best non-BS support on the web.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
before buying a foxbox do a little reading on the guy's customer service. it MIGHT steer you away from his business.

and glass, man i wish you were closer to me, id snatch that box/subs up quick.

OP
OP
GoMangoMan

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
before buying a foxbox do a little reading on the guy's customer service. it MIGHT steer you away from his business.

and glass, man i wish you were closer to me, id snatch that box/subs up quick.

Yes I know that he's not customer-focused as a business should be. I know some guys that have FB's and they love them. I think that I'm going to take a shot on it as the price is right. If I had unlimited funds (like Assassin lol) I would go straight to Duane at 3rd Strike and purchase a custom airbrushed fiberglass Bassforms enclosure. They are the best looking box on the planet. But, I need to remain calm and stay within my budget! Thanks everyone!!

OP
OP
GoMangoMan

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What brand of subwoofers are good for $80-150 range? I have single Memphis 10" and I'm thinking of switching to 2-12". Anyone like/dislike Kicker CVX12's?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
CVXs are very nice, I ran 2 10s in my old exploder. :D CVRs are nice too (less power)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I like the Alpines Im running but eventually will go to polk DB just to match my door speakers

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have two MTX Jackhammers, they are 12"s. I love them and they never fail.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye