Sub box question...

Which is better for under-the-seat sub boxes?

• Sealed

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Vented

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What brand of subwoofers are good for $80-150 range? I have single Memphis 10" and I'm thinking of switching to 2-12". Anyone like/dislike Kicker CVX12's?

I have always liked kicker subs. The CVX's would be awesome. The only thing I would make sure of is to check the mounthing depth of any sub you get with the box you are getting.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I have had 2 diff sets of MTXs and done pretty good with them, look at Crutchfeild the last set I bought was buy one get one free.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
The CVX's should fit (**according to both Kicker/FoxBox specifications)

cool...Just wanted to make sure...it would suck to buy a sub to find out its too deep

OP
OP
GoMangoMan

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just spoke to Joe at Fox Acoutics and the enclosures will be available on Monday. He recommended the Alpine Type R (model number ending with a 3 as this is the newest and bestest). I found them from a supplier on eBay shipped for $124.99 each. So I bought 'em! Crutchfield wanted $199.00 ea plus shipping. I can't wait to get this all in! Other brands he said they tested that they liked were JL W0's and Memphis PR's.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I'm doing a little gravedigging here and wanted to know how most feel about this since several years have passed. Which do you prefer? Have you done sealed and ported? Which sounded the best? Is one better than the other? Me personally have a 10" sealed kicker solo classic I've used since I've owned the truck and it's ok. It doesn't hit as hard as I would like, but it sounds pretty decent. The enclosure it's in is a little small for the sub. That sub requires .66 cuft of air space and it's getting about .56 cuft of airspace. I've had the sub for about 7 years and am looking to replace it with a dc audio level 2. So what say you fellow ram owners with sub enclosures?

KuntRRyBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shallow mount subs are the way to go or a set of nice 8". Im looking at the Kicker Solo-baric 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GoMangoMan

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had two 10" Memphis subs in a ported FoxBox in my'05 Ram It fits perfectly and provides a clean 'thump'. They're pricey but the fit and finish is beyond reproach.

Brooklynfed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
before buying a foxbox do a little reading on the guy's customer service. it MIGHT steer you away from his business.

and glass, man i wish you were closer to me, id snatch that box/subs up quick.

• I never post anything on this but these people at fox acoustics are horrible at customer service i tried to order a box from the they were cool until i told them where i lived (PUERTO RICO) I asked if they shipped to my location they responded no. I then asked if it was a shipping cost problem he said no we do not ship there because (YOU PEOPLE ARE SCAMMERS) Referring to my ethnic background. I then asked if he would ship to NY and the cost he proceeded to tell me LOOK IT UP YOURSELF i told him the least he could do was look it up for me being that he just insulted me told me to EFF MYSELF and he rather not do business with my kind

Gravel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 2500 4x4
Engine
CTD
I didn't find this thread until after I ordered a fox box.

Dont agree at all with racial stereotyping, that's just small minds doing what small minds do..

That said, the service I got was very good. Order was shipped two days after I ordered and delivered 6 days after the order was placed, that's good for a small company in December..

I'll post what I think once I get the thing installed

Last edited:

Gravel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 2500 4x4
Engine
CTD
I should have mentioned, I got a vented box for a single 12, passenger side. Haven't got past pulling it out of the shipping box and giving it a quick look but my first impression is very good. For the price, the quality appears great and the use of the plastic bowl is really clever. I've built a few custom fiberglass boxes and they turned out good, but I'd much rather buy something pre made and avoid the week long process of a homemade box. It's gonna be 3-4 weeks before my install is done, I'll update this when done.

As for the original topic, I like vented over sealed, but only if it's done correctly. Low tuning (30-35hz) is the key, and making sure the sub is matched to the box volume. The output and efficiency is just better if it's all working right. Look at almost any premade speakers you buy, even most computer monitor speakers are vented. You get more output and sound quality *can* be every bit as good.

But if it's not possible to get everything just right vented, just seal it and it'll be better. Sealed is much more forgiving, it saves a lot of fabrication work and space. They both have their place for sure.