Sub problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdyt7717

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, so I installed a amp/sub that i had previously in my Grand Cherokee. Well, my Ram has a stock radio so I had to use a Line Out Converter to get a signal to the amp. So i got it installed and all ways good... for about 2 weeks. Well, now when I turn up the radio, level knob (on the amp), or bass (on radio) too high, or when something really bass heavy comes on, my amp goes into protect mode. I'll power cycle the amp and everything works fine until i turn it up again. I was wondering if anybody could run through some suggestions with me since i am no audio expert.

A list of the things I have checked.
- Good ground to the body
- Replaced inline power fuse and 2 fuses in amp
- checked B+ voltage when amp goes into protect mode, nothing unususal
- checked voltage on RCA shields when amp cuts out, at low volumes it's about .9V and when it cuts out its at about (-11) to (-14)V
- Sub is not blown, rated at 4 Ohm, measured at 3.6 Ohm

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Check your line out adapter. Make sure no wires are crossed anywhere

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably because your voltage is dropping so much because of the stupid computer controlled alternators on the 06 and up trucks, the amp sees the voltage drop below a certain level and goes into protect mode. That's assuming all of your wiring is correct and grounds are good as you say.

Basically the way the electrical systems in these trucks work, is the computer monitors the vehicle voltage and controls the output of the alternator based on that. So when subs hit and draw a huge amount of power, voltage drops, the computer sees it, and tells the alternator to increase output. This whole process takes about a full second, and depending on how much power your amp is drawing, can send it into protect mode. Also, actually test for resistance between your ground location and the negative battery terminal. It should be near 0 ohms. If you just test for continuity between the two, this doesn't really tell you if it is a good ground. Just that it is a ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdyt7717

cdyt7717

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the voltage of the RCA's are whats changing. i checked the voltage at the + terminal on the amp and at stays right around a steady 14.(something). And when it is cutting out, its nowhere near loud enough to be causing something like what you were describing. I had this setup in my 96 GC, with the exception being i had a sony stereo instead of having to use a LOC, and had no problems even at crazy volumes. I'll have to check the converter, I just don't understand why it would work for 2 weeks and then start this. unless if maybe i fried something in the amp, or the converter :shrug:

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
the voltage of the RCA's are whats changing. i checked the voltage at the + terminal on the amp and at stays right around a steady 14.(something). And when it is cutting out, its nowhere near loud enough to be causing something like what you were describing. I had this setup in my 96 GC, with the exception being i had a sony stereo instead of having to use a LOC, and had no problems even at crazy volumes. I'll have to check the converter, I just don't understand why it would work for 2 weeks and then start this. unless if maybe i fried something in the amp, or the converter :shrug:

Loose strand of wire going into the converter? Took a while to move over and cause a short? Also sounds like it could a pinched speaker wire. Maybe it's rubbing on something and took a couple weeks to wear through the insulation?

OP
OP
cdyt7717

cdyt7717

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure about a loose stand of wire, when I wired it in, i soldered all the connections and wrapped them in electrical tape. I took it up to a local audio shop tonight and set up an appointment to get it looked it. He asked me what brand it was; its a Sony Xplod, and he told me that the amps probably shot. :suicide: I will check the speaker wire though.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye