Switch factory audio.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btf16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a question for the members of the ram forum.

My truck is a 2007 ram 1500 Laramie quad cab fully loaded with everything but NAV, I also have the infinity speakers. I have a line on the factory radio with the nav and screen from a 2007, Can i swap them out without any major changes?

Thank you.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't have factory navigation then your radio is probably a din and a half size. The navigation radios are double din size and to install one you'll need the whole center dash piece that surrounds the radio for a navigation unit.

Your radio has the little half circle shaped things on the left and right correct?

OP
OP
B

btf16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes it does. I had a feeling I would need the dash piece also. will this affect my hands free? I would guess I would have to re-sync it with the new unit.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure how the bluetooth system would work when you swap radios like that. Im also not sure if your truck will even have the gps antenna for the navigation to work. Personally If I was going to put that much work into it I would just get an aftermarket one. I had the factory navigation unit in my truck and I absolutely hated it. The navigation is so clumsy to use and it doesn't even have an aux or usb input. And obviously you can't watch movies on it either. The satellite radio was flaky as hell and the Bluetooth never worked right, only connecting when it felt like it and dropping the connection randomly. AND no bluetooth music streaming. Lol it's really lacking all kinds of stuff.

OP
OP
B

btf16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was trying to do a upgrade on a budget, since it had a screen and nav it also looks better but the junkyard wants $800 for the unit and the bezel. so i cant afford it. what would you recomend?

mrfyram1500

2024 1500 Laramie
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the rec nav unit in my '08 and swapped it for a low speed mygig. I found it on ebay with everything I needed for about $500 (mygig rer head unit, nav antenna, rear camera, microphone, Sirius antenna adapter, lockpick adapter, and filler panel. The mygig is smaller than the rec). Everything I got for the price was a great deal. Never priced out a new setup. You would have a warranty with new obviously. With the rec nav unit you would also need to make sure it has the map cd or dvd. I read where the updates for the maps are current to a certain date and then there are no more. (Sorry, I don't know what date). You can confirm if it does or does not have a nav antenna by removing your bezel and look at the leads behind it. My antenna lead ran from the top of the opening towards the windshield. Just a little info...

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I ordered the Nav bezel and got a Pioneer 3600 and I love it. I have a lot of features. I don't have GPS but I do have the ability to put in a back up camera.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 71

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was trying to do a upgrade on a budget, since it had a screen and nav it also looks better but the junkyard wants $800 for the unit and the bezel. so i cant afford it. what would you recomend?

Well if you want a double din it's going to cost a good bit of money. Figure a couple hundred on parts alone, for the dash kit, antennna adapter, wiring harness (this alone is around 80 dollars), new dash bezel, and possibly steering wheel control interface, it's alot of money. Then you have the cost of the radio itself. You can do it for less than 800 dollars, but probably not with navigation. You can get a double din pioneer for 2-300 dollars without nav but one with nav usually runs at least 5-600.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can confirm if it does or does not have a nav antenna by removing your bezel and look at the leads behind it. My antenna lead ran from the top of the opening towards the windshield. Just a little info...

Just for anyone else reading, the nav antenna is right underneath the trim panel that runs across the top of the dash by the windshield, with the speaker cutouts. It just pops off. The antenna will be directly in the middle, shaped like a small disc.