Tailgate open light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsurmanek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking for some help!!!

I am looking to install a tailgate open warning/indicator light. I would prefer the light to only turn on when the tailgate is open.

I have a tonneau cover and sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I forget to close my tailgate. I'm aware that many people say you should just know, but that method hasn't worked for me.

I would be willing to pay for a pre-built kit (can't find one), as I'm not very comfortable with electrical. However, I'm sure I could figure it out if I absolutely had to and somebody had a good DIY with pictures.

Thanks!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok you would need a switch that is off when the tailgate is closed. There are a few types that may do it but the ones that I would recommend is this type: SPDT Switch with 3/4 Roller Lever : SPDT Switches | RadioShack.com they are also called limit switches and can be configured to give electricity when the switch is open or closed. They are easy to hook up just 2 wires is all that is needed. As far as wiring goes all you will need is to run 2 wires. Red and black. Run them from the battery (or a switched fuse which would be better), to a light in your cab (any led light will work pretty much mounted anywhere you can see it), then out to the switch in the tailgate. Here is a basic diagram of ho to do the job:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am no artist so it is very basic. Maybe someone with a bit of art skills can do a better job.

Pushrod91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use a door pin switch and wire it up. Be the same set up as when your drivers door is open.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dsurmanek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you guys for the input

Wish somebody had a step by step with good pics

I honestly can't believe that no company has made a kit for this...

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone on here did it, little red indicator came on when the circuit was broken...haven't seen it in awhile though