Thinking about an Aftermarket Stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
So my aux port has kicked the bucket as of about a week ago and I'm left with about 1 or 2 reliably clear radio stations out here in the boonies..needless to say it gets old pretty fast. I've always wanted an aftermarket stereo and (as a search has shown me) it seems very complicated depending on your setup

I have an 06 Ram ST V6, 4 speaker w/o infinity, stock standard REF radio (no nav), no subs, no amps, etc.

I have a 100% stock sound system with Can-Bus I'm sure, so I'm wondering if I need an aftermarket stereo interface or if I'm okay without one.

I know I'd either have to get a new dash bezel or cut out my old one, get a metra install kit, is there anything I'm missing?

EDIT- I'd like to add I don't plan on adding any subs, amplifiers, back-up cams, etc. and if I ever did I know I'd have to buy a new interface

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need a harness, dash kit, and antenna adapter. There are different brands of everything but the one I usually use is Metra.

The wiring harness you will need is an XSVI-6502-NAV. This will provide additional outputs for hooking up additional equipment, but you don’t have to use them. Just cap them off.

The dash kit, if you are installing a single din radio, is a 99-6507.

The antenna adapter you will need is a 40-CR10.

If you want to keep your steering wheel controls (if you have them) you will need an ASWC-1. The harness you are getting is pre wired for this so it pretty much just plugs in. There is a little programming involved but usually is pretty easy and sometimes it will actually do it by itself.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Crutchfield is a great site for research and if you decide to purchase, they have harnesses, install guides and tech support. I highly recommend.

OP
OP
Fishstickz

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info! As for the dash kit, I plan on a double-din for the sake of its install looking cleaner (With some extra bezel filing, sanding, and maybe painting) along with more selection in stereos. I think I can get all the parts for pretty cheap and that'll leave me some spending money for a stereo.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963