Uconnect System Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bms44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I just bought a 2004 Ram 1500 and looking to upgrade the radio. There is a Uconnect system available on the local buysell and am wondering if anyone has any experience upgrading to these systems? I had one in my 09 Ram and loved it. I don't have the steering wheel controls so basically just looking to add the backup camera and make use of the GPS/bluetooth systems.

Has anyone added a Uconnect system to a non-uconnect vehicle?

Link to the stereo that is available to me.

Uconnect® | Systems | 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 730N/RHR

Thanks

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm afraid you're out of luck. The Mygig radio/gps systems are canbus integrated. 05 and before is non canbus. 06 and up uses canbus, and can be retrofitted with the mygig.

OP
OP
bms44

bms44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm afraid you're out of luck. The Mygig radio/gps systems are canbus integrated. 05 and before is non canbus. 06 and up uses canbus, and can be retrofitted with the mygig.

Perfect, that makes the decision easier. Thanks for the quick response.

OP
OP
bms44

bms44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does this mean I'm also hooped for other upgrades? Ideally I would like to add steering wheel controls, can I just take the ones out of another RAM of any year and run the wiring to my after market stereo? Or is it a lot more complicated than that.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adding steering wheel controls is possible. It take a little work, but it can be done. Here is a thread that is fairly detailed on the process.

Steering wheel Radio Controls added with Pics - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

As for integrating the controls with an aftermarket headunit, you will need an adapter. Axxess and PAC both make an adapter. If you plan on adding steering wheel controls, get that job done first and make sure they're functioning. Then install the aftermarket headunit and adapters.

Google "Add steering wheel audio controls ram" You should find many threads with advice on how to accomplish it.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I never use the wheel controls. Ever.
I forget I even have them. 20 years or so of reaching for the knobs is a hard habit to break.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Please view this ad:

Jeep / Chrysler / Dodge Android 4.4.4 Quad-Core 6.2″ NAV / DVD,
Jeep / Chrysler / Dodge Android 4.4.4 Quad-Core 6.2″ NAV / DVD | audio, GPS | Calgary | Kijiji

Price: $*290

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Would something like this work in my 04 with a bit of work?

Yes. http://www.ramforum.com/f52/has_anyone_installed_one_generic_chinese_android_head_units-77201/ Love mine, although I had a steep learning curve.

Personally, I would pass on the HU you linked and find a universal double-DIN model without a DVD player.

IDK about the models Car Navi Player lists. Some I can tell are not really for an '02-'05 due to the knobs being centered on the edge of the radio sides. That's like the '06+ models and Metra does make a replacement bezel to fit them, but they're not going to work with the '02-'05 dash. But they do seem to have universal models. I would not get a Android/WinCE unit; get a pure Android model, no matter what you buy.

I installed SWAC, like what lharrell79 linked to. That required harness is kinda difficult to find new, but I was able to source one. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate one, other than the connectors.

OP
OP
bms44

bms44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. http://www.ramforum.com/f52/has_anyone_installed_one_generic_chinese_android_head_units-77201/ Love mine, although I had a steep learning curve.

Personally, I would pass on the HU you linked and find a universal double-DIN model without a DVD player.

IDK about the models Car Navi Player lists. Some I can tell are not really for an '02-'05 due to the knobs being centered on the edge of the radio sides. That's like the '06+ models and Metra does make a replacement bezel to fit them, but they're not going to work with the '02-'05 dash. But they do seem to have universal models. I would not get a Android/WinCE unit; get a pure Android model, no matter what you buy.

I installed SWAC, like what lharrell79 linked to. That required harness is kinda difficult to find new, but I was able to source one. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate one, other than the connectors.

Thanks for the info.

So you would recommend an Android HU over a simple one like Pioneer, kenwood etc?

My biggest wants out of a HU are, Steering wheel controls, bluetooth audio/phone, backup camera and Navigation.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the info.

So you would recommend an Android HU over a simple one like Pioneer, kenwood etc?

My biggest wants out of a HU are, Steering wheel controls, bluetooth audio/phone, backup camera and Navigation.
I make no recommendation of one over the other. It's just that you linked to an Android HU. I wanted to give you an idea of what was involved. Now that the learning curve is long past for me, I'd get another, without question. However, they're not for everybody. What you want is easily achieved with a regular HU. How far you want to take infotainment may decide that for you.

The worst parts of the SWAC was pulling the cluster and getting the wire in and cutting the button holes. If you've all the parts and moderately skilled, it's ~half day job.

OP
OP
bms44

bms44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I make no recommendation of one over the other. It's just that you linked to an Android HU. I wanted to give you an idea of what was involved. Now that the learning curve is long past for me, I'd get another, without question. However, they're not for everybody. What you want is easily achieved with a regular HU. How far you want to take infotainment may decide that for you.

The worst parts of the SWAC was pulling the cluster and getting the wire in and cutting the button holes. If you've all the parts and moderately skilled, it's ~half day job.

Makes sense, my biggest concern about the Android unit is navigation, how does it connect? Do you need to use your phone to provide a hotspot to the HU or does it have a standalone Navigation connection?

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Online or offline navigation. With most of these Android HUs, they will likely have a pirated version of iGO. Getting updates is pretty dicey, as some (most? all?) of these outfits say they will offer map updates. Good luck on that. :crazy:

I have Sygic through Google Play. I got a world lifetime license (they regularly run sales of ~60% off) for $30.00. Good part is I have maps internally. Bad news is without a custom ROM, you *might* not be able to store all you want. These HUs may have (say) 16 GB, but the way they're structured, maybe half that is available. I have Canada/Mexico/Alaska/CONUS and it's ~5-5.5GB. I use a custom ROM, so since drives never have the stated space (in my case ~14.8 GB), I now have ~4GB left, after maps/firmware/apps.

Some people use Waze or Google Maps for online navigation. You either use the BT connection to pair with your phone (if yo've got a nav app on it) or do like I do-use your phone as a hotspot via the wi-fi antenna on the back of the HU. I use Cricket for service and have 8GB data unthrottled. If I exceed that, there's no other charges but speed is slowed. Nonetheless, I don't use data for online nav. I use it for internet browsing and TuneIn radio (a far superior alternative to SiriusXM). Maybe watch TV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bms44

bms44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Online or offline navigation. With most of these Android HUs, they will likely have a pirated version of iGO. Getting updates is pretty dicey, as some (most? all?) of these outfits say they will offer map updates. Good luck on that. :crazy:

I have Sygic through Google Play. I got a world lifetime license (they regularly run sales of ~60% off) for $30.00. Good part is I have maps internally. Bad news is without a custom ROM, you *might* not be able to store all you want. These HUs may have (say) 16 GB, but the way they're structured, maybe half that is available. I have Canada/Mexico/Alaska/CONUS and it's ~5-5.5GB. I use a custom ROM, so since drives never have the stated space (in my case ~14.8 GB), I now have ~4GB left, after maps/firmware/apps.

Some people use Waze or Google Maps for online navigation. You either use the BT connection to pair with your phone (if yo've got a nav app on it) or do like I do-use your phone as a hotspot via the wi-fi antenna on the back of the HU. I use Cricket for service and have 8GB data unthrottled. If I exceed that, there's no other charges but speed is slowed. Nonetheless, I don't use data for online nav. I use it for internet browsing and TuneIn radio (a far superior alternative to SiriusXM). Maybe watch TV.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a standard head unit might be best for me. Sounds like its just as easy to use navigation on your mobile device anyways.

The concept sounds really enticing but not worth it yet it sounds like.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452