Wiring Help with Radio and Backup Camera Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wilspeer1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and am in the process of installing a new stereo and backup camera and am currently stumped with a few of the wiring issues that I need to make the system work. The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS. I purchased the correct interface harness so I can connect the head unit to the truck without having to splice the OEM wires and as far as that part of the installation, everything was very easy. However, there is a wire on the plug for the head unit that says Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one in which the voltage changes when the gear shift is in the REVERSE position. This connection enables the unit to sense whether the car is moving forwards or backwards. I know this will allow the unit to switch to the backup camera, so my question is where do I connect this wire? Secondly, my backup camera is a Boyo Vision VTL300CIR infrared camera. The basic wiring is very simple as the camera is license plate mounted with a quick-connector to extension cable that will run from the back to the front of the truck. Under the dash, there is also a quick-connector to connect the extension cable to the camera harness. The camera harness has four separate wires. There is the RCA jack that plugs into the back of the head unit. Secondly there is the reverse switch. Finally, there is a red and black wire. I realize the red connects to the positive and black to the ground, however, where is the best place to connect these? Do I need an extension on them to connect somewhere else under the dash or can I just connect to the red and black of the head unit? What I want is for power to go to the camera and the picture to appear on the head unit when the gear shift is placed in reverse and I want the head unit to switch to the picture whether the unit is on or off. I would appreciate anyone's help.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
However, there is a wire on the plug for the head unit that says Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one in which the voltage changes when the gear shift is in the REVERSE position. This connection enables the unit to sense whether the car is moving forwards or backwards. I know this will allow the unit to switch to the backup camera, so my question is where do I connect this wire?
Unless there's something different in trucks later than mine, it's the reverse light wire since it's not powered until the switch makes contact.

The camera harness has four separate wires. There is the RCA jack that plugs into the back of the head unit. Secondly there is the reverse switch. Finally, there is a red and black wire. I realize the red connects to the positive and black to the ground, however, where is the best place to connect these? Do I need an extension on them to connect somewhere else under the dash or can I just connect to the red and black of the head unit? What I want is for power to go to the camera and the picture to appear on the head unit when the gear shift is placed in reverse and I want the head unit to switch to the picture whether the unit is on or off. I would appreciate anyone's help.
IDK what your HU is like, but that ground might not be related to the camera. That might have to do with video playback, where it goes to the brake system. However, IDK about your particular HU.

Watch these two videos. Apparently, your model supports front AND rear cameras, so you need to know if some of the wires you mention are for a front installation. In the second video, they reference the harness and colors/function in the first video.

First video-AVH-X5800BHS unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJktpnrW0Bs

Second video-how to do front and rear camera install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5Tz0XHYn8

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rca from camera goes directly to head unit.... Black and red from camera....
Red One goes to reverse wire at reverse tail light (+12v).
Black connects to ground just pick a chasis bolt under truck.
Reverse wire coming out of back of head unit will run to the back of your truck and connect it to the positive 12v from reverse wire at taillight exactly where your mirror is powered off off.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What wiring harness did you get to install your radio? I ask because most of the 06 and up trucks have harnesses that have a reverse signal wire in the harness. For example when I put in my pioneer head unit, the harness I used had reverse signal, vehicle speed sense, and e brake leads right there. It gets these from the can bus system.

When it says "connect to the one in which the voltage changes", this basically means to connect it to the wire that sees 12v in reverse. One wire gets 12v, and one gets ground. You use the 12v wire. Which as I said above may be right in the harness you bought.

Most backup cameras only have power and ground connections, and you get power right at the reverse light at the back of the vehicle. However since yours supposedly has power, ground, and reverse connections, you'll have to see if you can connect the power and reverse wires right to the reverse light 12v lead and see if that works. That way the camera only has power in reverse.