- Star Case - 4th Gen Torque Converter Moan, Drone, Rattle Issues

Torque Converter - Vibrations Moans Rattles

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Star Case: S1121000005

Release Date: 6/30/11

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Customer indicates that the vehicle has a slight moan, drone, or rattle noise and sounds as though it is coming from the exhaust, The customer may indicate that the noise occurs under light load (1400 - 1700 engine rpm - around 40 to 60 mph)

Diagnosis:
Confirm that the noise only occurs while the torque converter is in lock-up at low speeds (around 1400 - 1700 engine RPM) at approximately 45 mph. If the noise is heard while transmission is in partial lock-up at 1400 - 1700 RPM, put the vehicle into ERS - Tow/Haul mode (deactivates MDS and torque converter in full lock-up) If the noise is unchanged, perform the following repair procedure. If the noise goes away in ERS mode, further diagnosis is required. If the noise occurs above 1700 RPM or below 1400 RPM, further diagnosis is required.

Parts Required:
AR (1) RL051167AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 - 2011 2WD DS R/T Only)

AR (1) RL051146AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 4.7L WK/WH/W2/XK/XH,
2009 5.7L DS/DC/DH/D1/HB/HG/WK/WH/W2/XK
2010 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/DX/WK/WH/XK/XH
2011 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/D2 Only)

AR (1) RL0512241AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2008 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DR/WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 4.7L 4WD WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 5.7L 2WD/4WD DR/HB/HG/WK/WH/XK/XH
2009 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DS
2010 4.7L 2WD ND/DS/DX
2011 4.7L 2WD DS/DX/ND
2011 5.7L 2WD/4WD WD/WK/W2 Only)

Repair Procedure:
Replace the torque converter.
Follow the procedures identified in the service manual.

Notice for ALL forum members:
I am no way responsable for what is written here.
Just wanted to pass along this info and hope its helps some of you.
Maybe if we can have the administrators make us a sticky of this,
that would be good so that EVERYONE can use this information.

Thanks, and good luck folks....LU229

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i voted that i do not have the issue, but now with my exhuast, i don't know if i would ever here a slight moan or droan.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I may have this issue, I have noticed that my tranny is making some drone noise, will have to take it in and have it checked out. Or just wait until it does whatever it's going to do then they will have to fix it.

HEMIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Great info here, my truck has these symptoms. I thought maybe that's just the way theses trucks are. I'm taking mine in this week and having it addressed, along with the rear end howl.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i voted that i do not have the issue, but now with my exhuast, i don't know if i would ever here a slight moan or droan.

Kinda like turning up the radio so ya cant hear a rattle....heheheheee

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I may have this issue, I have noticed that my tranny is making some drone noise, will have to take it in and have it checked out. Or just wait until it does whatever it's going to do then they will have to fix it.

Absolute worse thing you can do, is to wait for something to break,
especially when you could have avoided it all together.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info here, my truck has these symptoms. I thought maybe that's just the way theses trucks are. I'm taking mine in this week and having it addressed, along with the rear end howl.

My 2010 truck has the same issues, trans groweling, rear diff howling.
Thats why i started this post on the trans issues. I`m curious to see how many 4th gen`s have the issue. I`ve been told by tons of people on all the forums that this trans issue isnt what it seems and nothing is really wrong with it. I`m finding out that i was right..! Ther is alot of these trucks out there with this very problem. And it dosent surprise me that some people dont even know they have this issue. I`d bet money that the people that say they dont hear the TC moan, drone, rattle, dont even know what to look or listen for. Its MY belief, every one of these 09, 10, 11, trucks have a noisey torque converter.

Some will ask, how do i know they`re all noisey...????
Because the clearence`s between the turbine hubs and the spline shafts are way to big. (very loose fit)
Thats why they are noisey, the lock-up is very irratic, wont lock-up properly, causes moan drone shudder rattle issues

Last edited:

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My new 2011 has a moan when up to speed doing 60mph and the MDS has kicked off (going up small hill or windy day). When the MDS is active or when I put it in tow/haul mode the sound goes away. It has done this since 130 miles (first time I noticed it), so do I have a different problem or is this just normal for this truck?

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new 2011 has a moan when up to speed doing 60mph and the MDS has kicked off (going up small hill or windy day). When the MDS is active or when I put it in tow/haul mode the sound goes away. It has done this since 130 miles (first time I noticed it), so do I have a different problem or is this just normal for this truck?

What exact model of truck do you have (???) The year is all you listed.
(SLT/SPORT/LARAMIE, 2wd/4wd, RegCab, Quad cab, Crewcab, SingleExhaust/DualExhaust)
Did you read the very first post/thread very carefully...???
Go back, re-read it, test drive, post results.

Before you road test, check your tire pressure(s) and set to factory spec.

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What exact model of truck do you have (???) The year is all you listed.
(SLT/SPORT/LARAMIE, 2wd/4wd, RegCab, Quad cab, Crewcab, SingleExhaust/DualExhaust)
Did you read the very first post/thread very carefully...???
Go back, re-read it, test drive, post results.

Before you road test, check your tire pressure(s) and set to factory spec.

Sorry for the lack of info, I was not thinking too clear after all the Thanksgiving parties...lol.

The truck is a 2011 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with the Hemi, single exhaust, and 3:55 rear gears with limited slip. I did read both threads about this problem and did the road test on my way to work at 60mph. I will add to what I reported earlier, when running 60mph the motor is turning at 1500rpm in 5 gear with MDS on, when MDS kicks off the motor is turning at 1700rpm. When turning the tow/haul mode on the motor jumps up to 2250rpm. The tire pressures are reading 38psi and I have not messed with them since I bought the truck. I will do the test at 45mph later today and report back.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the lack of info, I was not thinking too clear after all the Thanksgiving parties...lol.

The truck is a 2011 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with the Hemi, single exhaust, and 3:55 rear gears with limited slip. I did read both threads about this problem and did the road test on my way to work at 60mph. I will add to what I reported earlier, when running 60mph the motor is turning at 1500rpm in 5 gear with MDS on, when MDS kicks off the motor is turning at 1700rpm. When turning the tow/haul mode on the motor jumps up to 2250rpm. The tire pressures are reading 38psi and I have not messed with them since I bought the truck. I will do the test at 45mph later today and report back.

My thoughts as of right now, seeing you have the SLT with single exhaust, i would 1/2 bet that what you might be experiencing, is exhaust droning by your description so far. I`ve never drove a single exhaust 4th gen truck that DOSENT do it. Trucks with the 3.55 & 3.21 gear ratio seem to be much more prone to it because of them lugging along at lower speed`s & lower rpm`s and causing the truck to actually shake/vibrate itself. (kind of like driving 20/30mph with a stick shift car while its still in 5th gear type scenerio)

I would still like to see your 45mph roadtest results too. That might shed some more light on it that might make be believe your torque converter is one of the loose ones that cause rattle, moan an drone as per described with the star case issue. I also believe your TC may end up being a star case cantidate due to it being a 2011 model year. Just might take some more time for the sound(s) to develope louder in your case. How many miles are on your truck right now...?

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My thoughts as of right now, seeing you have the SLT with single exhaust, i would 1/2 bet that what you might be experiencing, is exhaust droning by your description so far. I`ve never drove a single exhaust 4th gen truck that DOSENT do it. Trucks with the 3.55 & 3.21 gear ratio seem to be much more prone to it because of them lugging along at lower speed`s & lower rpm`s and causing the truck to actually shake/vibrate itself. (kind of like driving 20/30mph with a stick shift car while its still in 5th gear type scenerio)

I would still like to see your 45mph roadtest results too. That might shed some more light on it that might make me believe your torque converter is one of the loose ones that cause rattle, moan an drone as per described with the star case issue. I also believe your TC may end up being a star case cantidate due to it being a 2011 model year. Just might take some more time for the sound(s) to develope louder in your case. How many miles are on your truck right now...?

Last edited:

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the test at 45mph this evening and could not get the truck to make the sounds at 45mph. The sounds did not start till I hit 48mph and up. At 45mph the motor is turning about 1350. The results at 48mph and up are the same as before when doing 60mph.

To answer LU229:

The truck has 1,038 miles on it now. I agree on your exhaust droning statement. We will see if the sounds get worse with more miles. I will be getting duels if I'm droning with the stock exhaust system. Hopefully it keeps bugging the wife, then it will be an easier sell. :naughty:

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the test at 45mph this evening and could not get the truck to make the sounds at 45mph. The sounds did not start till I hit 48mph and up. At 45mph the motor is turning about 1350. The results at 48mph and up are the same as before when doing 60mph.

To answer LU229:

The truck has 1,038 miles on it now. I agree on your exhaust droning statement. We will see if the sounds get worse with more miles. I will be getting duels if I'm droning with the stock exhaust system. Hopefully it keeps bugging the wife, then it will be an easier sell. :naughty:

Easier sell to the wife...heheheheeee, i hear ya brother, i hear ya...lol.
I`m starting to think your particualr issue is exhaust related by your description. Keep the truck in overdrive/TC full lock up and keep trying to repeat the noise as often as you can. Always take notes on what where when and how scenerio`s. I do believe eventually your TC will begin to rattle, moan and groan. These TC`s are very sloppy, just a matter of time buddie.

And just some advice on the choice of exhaust, MAGNAFLOW...!!!!! (stay with 3inch in, 2-1/2 out)
All the others seem to cause you to loose lowend torque and fuel milege. Bigger isnt always better.
Also, by the stainless muffler, all the other standard exhaust systems are rotting out within 2yrs.

Last edited:

illadvised

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no activity in this thread for a little bit, anybody have any updates here?

I have my truck in at the dealer for this right now... and of course they don't see the issue.

I've had it in 3 times and even this time called RAM support to follow along. I'm really getting fed up with this issue, I feel/hear it every day on my 15 mile ride in and 15 mile ride home from work. Besides going out of my way and trying a different dealer, I don't know what else to do.

:shooter:

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I have noticed that my trans gets confused on whether or not to lock up. Sometimes just cruising at like 40mph, it will act like it wants to go into the overdrive, but won't. Then it almost feels like it is kind of like in neutral and sometimes you can feel the whole truck like jerking. I have been in shops so much as of late, that I am waiting on taking it in for this issue.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no activity in this thread for a little bit, anybody have any updates here?

I have my truck in at the dealer for this right now... and of course they don't see the issue.

I've had it in 3 times and even this time called RAM support to follow along. I'm really getting fed up with this issue, I feel/hear it every day on my 15 mile ride in and 15 mile ride home from work. Besides going out of my way and trying a different dealer, I don't know what else to do.

:shooter:

I would certainly try another dealer...! Take it to a high volume dealership where they sell lots of these trucks, someone there HAS got to have had simular trucks with this issue due to a more high volume of sales and hopefully be able to help you better.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed that my trans gets confused on whether or not to lock up. Sometimes just cruising at like 40mph, it will act like it wants to go into the overdrive, but won't. Then it almost feels like it is kind of like in neutral and sometimes you can feel the whole truck like jerking. I have been in shops so much as of late, that I am waiting on taking it in for this issue.

Take it back to your dealer and have it re-flashed, ther is a TSB on this issue.
Have the transmission fluid level properly checked also

Last edited:

illadvised

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it back to your dealer and have it re-flashed, ther is a TSB on this issue.
Have the transmission fluid level properly checked also

I thought the tsb was for the 11 only?

after the dealer having the truck 3 days and several people driving it they now confirm the issue. However they had to order the part and it was on national back order. So I picked up my truck and get a call 2 days later saying the part was superseded 4 times and it turns out they have the part in stock. Dropping it back off on january 3rd. Hopefully she finally gets fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45