- Star Case - 4th Gen Torque Converter Moan, Drone, Rattle Issues

Torque Converter - Vibrations Moans Rattles

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought the tsb was for the 11 only?

after the dealer having the truck 3 days and several people driving it they now confirm the issue. However they had to order the part and it was on national back order. So I picked up my truck and get a call 2 days later saying the part was superseded 4 times and it turns out they have the part in stock. Dropping it back off on january 3rd. Hopefully she finally gets fixed.

I`m not aware of the torque convertor being superseded for the star case issues, so if this "suddenly in stock" magic torque covertor suddenly is now in stock sitting on there parts shelf all along, that would worry me. Sounds like a bullsh!t story they are feeding you.

Here is what i do know so far;
there is a torque convertor they can get by itself, (just the TC)
and ther is also a TC "kit" available that comes with new flex plate bolts.
So, with saying this, ther is actually 2 different part numbers for the star case TC.
Call your dealership and get me the part number for the one they want to install in your truck,
i will check the part number against my information and see if its the correct TC.

My concern is that if they put the wrong TC in your truck, your issue could return just as soon as you drive it away from the dealership, or shortly after a few miles. I`ve seen this very same thing happen to another guy on a different forum, they put in the wrong TC and his rattle/drone was back within 300 miles. Now he`s going thru hell to get them to replace it again.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Had mine done at around 42k going in tomorrow because now my pedal is vibrating like crazy and either something was not put back together correctly or I need another one. When I bought it it was so smooth then when TC went bad it would shudder at constant speed up a hill. So they replaced never been smooth since. I want to just buy my own edge or ats or other performance brand and try that. The one they replaced my first one with the kit that contains the new bolts.

My truck is a 09 with about 45k 4.56 was 3.55 hemi 4WD crew.

This is so common I should be reimbursed for what I paid.

$miley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Part numbers changed because the original ones had so many problems they changed them a bit.

$miley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is not just a noise it is a feeling and if you felt it you would know what I mean.

I took my truck in today they had it from 7am to nearly 11a and told me it was just tires out of balance. I believed them paid the rip off $50 and then headed to work only had 5 minutes to get there. (so it sat all day until I was done).

Tested it out after work and I could feel it right away but on the interstate 70mph and above it got terrible i could feel it through the pedal so bad I just felt sick that it still had not been fixed.

The feeling is almost like I can feel the fluid going through the pump with a lot of vibration and it intensifies as speeds increase.

Dropping off again tonight (early bird drop) and left VM with the advisor and I am going to leave it there for them to try again. ******** this is frustrating.

I want my smooth Ram back.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is not just a noise it is a feeling and if you felt it you would know what I mean.

I took my truck in today they had it from 7am to nearly 11a and told me it was just tires out of balance. I believed them paid the rip off $50 and then headed to work only had 5 minutes to get there. (so it sat all day until I was done).

Tested it out after work and I could feel it right away but on the interstate 70mph and above it got terrible i could feel it through the pedal so bad I just felt sick that it still had not been fixed.

The feeling is almost like I can feel the fluid going through the pump with a lot of vibration and it intensifies as speeds increase.

Dropping off again tonight (early bird drop) and left VM with the advisor and I am going to leave it there for them to try again. ******** this is frustrating.

I want my smooth Ram back.
Let me know how it works out budd

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So they had it all day they say they cant find anything wrong. Buzz through pedal is there for me so bad after 70MPH it just sucks. They cant feel it and I feel it so much and so often I don't even like to drive it right now. I have no idea what to do, try or replace. I hate this vibration issue and no one seems to even believe it is there. I know my truck I know it is a problem. What is it? That is the question I cannot find the answer to.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So they had it all day they say they cant find anything wrong. Buzz through pedal is there for me so bad after 70MPH it just sucks. They cant feel it and I feel it so much and so often I don't even like to drive it right now. I have no idea what to do, try or replace. I hate this vibration issue and no one seems to even believe it is there. I know my truck I know it is a problem. What is it? That is the question I cannot find the answer to.

smiley,
it is the mds thats causing the vibration/buzz issue. Dodge has yet to find a fix for it. (the chrysler 300 hemi has been on the waiting list for over 2yrs for a mds buzz fix, and still nothing yet from chrysler) What you can do in the meen time, is drop your gear shifter (-/+) down into 5th, that will eliminate the mds fuction completely, and your vibration should disappear. If it does not stop the vibration after you`ve dropped it into 5th gear, you might have something else going on.

Also, keep this in mind if others try to mislead you, some of us DO KNOW, it is NOT the torque convertor that some claim, that is causing the gas pedals, steering wheels, seats, to vibrate, or for a better term, feel like a chainsaw buzzing in your hands. At first when i was researching it, and running all kinds of tests, that was once my thought too. I now know better after seeing real life results on many different hemi trucks.

Ok, now for the good news...well sorta...
I am working on some custom ballast`s for this mds vibration issue that will bolt up to the vehicle(s) that stops this vibration/buzzing. Right now i`m in the R&D stages of it. Locating the right parts to make it work on everybodys vehicles is just one of the toughest issues. It has to be a 100% fix for everyone before we turn it loose to anyone, myself included. Ther is only a couple of us working on the project, so our time and also finding what works best is not on our side at the momment. When we do get it all together and working, we will be notifying everyone on all the dodge forums. Supplier`s have what we are looking for in their internet catalogs, but they cant seem to get it to us because they dont stock the item(s).

Hang in ther my good friend, hopefully we`ll be able to help everybody very soon.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Problem is I have problem when no fuel saver light is on and also when I have it tuned and MDS disabled so I don't think it is that plus does it in tow haul which disables that crap too with stock tune.

These trucks should not have MDS or crap gear choices. 3.92 should be standard maybe even 4.10.

Another thing I was thinking about is why does Chrysler use ATF+4 and seem I have more transmission related issues all these years?

Why not put a transmission built to last without using Torque management in?

I love everything except buzz and that I have 5 speed on my truck.

I can't wait until they make diesel 1500 with 8 speed dual clutch. That would be boss.

$miley

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem is I have problem when no fuel saver light is on and also when I have it tuned and MDS disabled so I don't think it is that plus does it in tow haul which disables that crap too with stock tune.

These trucks should not have MDS or crap gear choices. 3.92 should be standard maybe even 4.10.

Another thing I was thinking about is why does Chrysler use ATF+4 and seem I have more transmission related issues all these years?

Why not put a transmission built to last without using Torque management in?

I love everything except buzz and that I have 5 speed on my truck.

I can't wait until they make diesel 1500 with 8 speed dual clutch. That would be boss.

$miley

Dunno at this point budd, maybe have the torque convertor bolts checked, see if they`re starting to come loose...? I really dont know what else to tell ya at this point. Hopefully some others may chime in and toss out some ideas at you to help.

ATF+4 is chrysler`s synthetic trans oil (they own the rights to the ATF+4 name)
Far as torque management goes, thats one of their ways of increasing mpg.
Yeah i agree on the 1500 diesel, until it breaks down...lol Then its Major $$$$
Diesel`s surely aren`t very economical to maintain either (in my own opinion)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So today they said they could not feel it and as a long shot I asked him to look up if my truck had pcm update. Guess what it did.

They did it free of charge and it seemed to have nearly eliminated the feeling I was getting. I will have to test over 70 MPH but it was good to 60ish.

Bad news the update made my hypertech tuner no longer work. So now my speedometer is off and I am debating whether I should program with the superchips or just go natural and adjust speed. If I use auto stick to turn off MDS I can use it when I want it I guess.

Also have not been using line booster because I felt the vibe more when that was in.

Time will tell but so far works well.

$miley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Damn it also made my Superchips not work so I guess I play the waiting game and this PCM update must have made mine locked like the 2011 ones.

$miley

Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi
I have a 2011 Crew Cab Sport with 3:55 anti spin Diff. First noticed the moan, droan at 300Kms under light load in the 1400-1600rpm range. Dealer didn't hear the noise the first time, so I drove it for couple of months until the noise became really annoying. Took truck back to dealer at 6000kms referenced there was a Star Case bulletin on the TC and they test drove and confirmed it was a candidate.
Dealer replaced TC, Work order referenced Part # RL051146A, no B on the end. Questioned dealer why no B, response was they ensured me they had the right part.
Drove the truck home, it was like night and day, the moan/drone was gone.
But
After about 500Kms the noise was back, same noise, very quiet and only heard when going up small grade in high gear. Doesn't do it on flat road under light load as before.
Questioning whether I got new improved TC ??

Vibration in Gas Pedal
Since TC was replaced I have noticed the vibration in the gas pedal. Vibration is there at 2100-2200rpm as you accellerate normally through the gears and when cruising at that rpm, doesn't matter what gear or with Haul mode on or off. When driving in 4auto or 4wd the vibration is more noticeable than when in 2wd.
Dealer has no other reports of vibration in the pedal nor has seen bulletins on it.
Taking it in shortly for them to test drive.
Thoughts?
Thanks

illadvised

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn it also made my Superchips not work so I guess I play the waiting game and this PCM update must have made mine locked like the 2011 ones.

$miley

yours is an 09 right? I wonder if they have a flash for the 10 now? can anybody check on this?

trying to get the part number for the TC they plan to use on mine now...

EDIT: Part number is RL051146-AB

Last edited:

illadvised

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, i got my truck back... It seems to be better, but i am still getting a low rpm drone. However, i have at least confirmed this to be MDS related as with the shifter in 5 it goes away. This will probably never get fixed... Im just happy the noises and vibration is gone. Im still getting a firm downshift at 45mph on slight decel, this is also probably a calibration issue that we will never see a fix for.

LustinJam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Scary Thread

I am lookin at a 2011 4x4 Sport with 10K miles. Since it has a little break in, I should be able to feel the vibration/shudder & hear any droning/moaning sound, right? What all should I look for when I take this truck out for a spin next week?

Never been a Dodge guy, but these new Rams got a good look to em... But this thread n talk in others got me questioning myself. How common are these issues? Clearly there isnt a sure-fire fix yet....

Thanks fellas

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, i got my truck back... It seems to be better, but i am still getting a low rpm drone. However, i have at least confirmed this to be MDS related as with the shifter in 5 it goes away. This will probably never get fixed... Im just happy the noises and vibration is gone. Im still getting a firm downshift at 45mph on slight decel, this is also probably a calibration issue that we will never see a fix for.

If you have a 2010 545RFE trans with a harsh 45mph downshift, they do have a TSB for that issue. My advice, do NOT let them do the TSB on it, you will hate it. Learn to live with the downshift you already have, it will NOT hurt the truck or transmission in any way shape or form. Many complaints of the re-flash for harsh downshift... first thing you will notice after the reflash, the truck will become a dog, poor gas miledge, shift pattern is also now different, and definatly wont be to your likeing either. Couple friends of mine had ther`s reflashed for the harsh downshifting and absolutley hate the way the trucks are now after the reflash. I drove 2 of them after the reflash, i flat out turned that option down for my own truck and will continue to live with the harsh downshifting. After you get some more miles on your truck, it will calm down on the harsh downshifts, mine did and i couldnt be happier now. I`m at 35,000 now, and the transmission is much better these days. So again, if you can live with it, do so, you wont regret it.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am lookin at a 2011 4x4 Sport with 10K miles. Since it has a little break in, I should be able to feel the vibration/shudder & hear any droning/moaning sound, right? What all should I look for when I take this truck out for a spin next week?

Never been a Dodge guy, but these new Rams got a good look to em... But this thread n talk in others got me questioning myself. How common are these issues? Clearly there isnt a sure-fire fix yet....

Thanks fellas
Buy it, you wont regret it...!
The vibration & shudder is the torque convertor going into lock up. All it is on the ones that rattlre, is the turbine hub & spline shaft clearence issue, it wont and cant blow out, ther is no place for it to go. The fitting clearences are slightly loose and thats all. YES, ther IS a fix... replace the torque convertor if the noise bothers you. The updated torque convertors have what they call an interference fit spline into the turbine hub now, and that takes care of the loose ones that rattled slightly. (another words, alot tighter fit so that you cant hear then rattle, vibrate, shudder anymore)

If you want to buy a truck(s) with alot bigger issues, buy the ford or the chevy. They have ALOT of bad ones out there. The dodge trucks are holding together quite well. Not to mention, the dodge is alot better built today than they used to be. Last but not least... ITS A HEMI...!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi
I have a 2011 Crew Cab Sport with 3:55 anti spin Diff. First noticed the moan, droan at 300Kms under light load in the 1400-1600rpm range. Dealer didn't hear the noise the first time, so I drove it for couple of months until the noise became really annoying. Took truck back to dealer at 6000kms referenced there was a Star Case bulletin on the TC and they test drove and confirmed it was a candidate.
Dealer replaced TC, Work order referenced Part # RL051146A, no B on the end. Questioned dealer why no B, response was they ensured me they had the right part.
Drove the truck home, it was like night and day, the moan/drone was gone.
But
After about 500Kms the noise was back, same noise, very quiet and only heard when going up small grade in high gear. Doesn't do it on flat road under light load as before.
Questioning whether I got new improved TC ??

Vibration in Gas Pedal
Since TC was replaced I have noticed the vibration in the gas pedal. Vibration is there at 2100-2200rpm as you accellerate normally through the gears and when cruising at that rpm, doesn't matter what gear or with Haul mode on or off. When driving in 4auto or 4wd the vibration is more noticeable than when in 2wd.
Dealer has no other reports of vibration in the pedal nor has seen bulletins on it.
Taking it in shortly for them to test drive.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Phil,
i would call chrysler and mention the star case and make sure you got the correct updated torque convertor.
Some of these dealers will just use what they have on the shelf an call it good.

MDS vibe`s:
add a couple of the ballasts to the front exhaust "Y" pipe from the 2005 hemi TSB for exhaust vibrations. This helps calm down the MDS torsional vibes thats coming up thru the cab. This eliminated MOST of my MDS vibes, gas pedal included.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
ok so I went on a 40 minute trip today because I that is where I do my taxes. So I have the truck tuned using the hypertech tuner and MDS off. Issue comes at around 80mph or higher rumbles and makes truck ride terrible I think it may be either CV joint(s) or possibly drive shaft u joints i have just 46000 miles so not something I would expect but that is what I am leaning towards at this point. I have aftermarket gears and I am sure the dealer would love to blame them but I don't think it is them unless backlash being slightly off would cause this or something but it was not a problem when I first did the gears at around 32000 miles. I'll take suggestions :)

LustinJam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Buy it, you wont regret it...!
The vibration & shudder is the torque convertor going into lock up. All it is on the ones that rattlre, is the turbine hub & spline shaft clearence issue, it wont and cant blow out, ther is no place for it to go. The fitting clearences are slightly loose and thats all. YES, ther IS a fix... replace the torque convertor if the noise bothers you. The updated torque convertors have what they call an interference fit spline into the turbine hub now, and that takes care of the loose ones that rattled slightly. (another words, alot tighter fit so that you cant hear then rattle, vibrate, shudder anymore)

If you want to buy a truck(s) with alot bigger issues, buy the ford or the chevy. They have ALOT of bad ones out there. The dodge trucks are holding together quite well. Not to mention, the dodge is alot better built today than they used to be. Last but not least... ITS A HEMI...!!!!!!!!!

Well I got it. LOVE IT. The interior is prob one of the best I've come across and although I've always liked the look of my friends' GMCs I wanted something different. This truck had everything I was looking for in it's looks and again, the interior is just amazingly functional.

Well this site has another member! Cheers