- Star Case - 4th Gen Torque Converter Moan, Drone, Rattle Issues

Torque Converter - Vibrations Moans Rattles

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I got it. LOVE IT. The interior is prob one of the best I've come across and although I've always liked the look of my friends' GMCs I wanted something different. This truck had everything I was looking for in it's looks and again, the interior is just amazingly functional.

Well this site has another member! Cheers

Congrats on the new truck, it will serve you well...!!!
Dont worry about the small things with the new truck, just enjoy it.
Change the engine oil ASAP to valvoline synthetic and use the factory oil filters.

LustinJam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Congrats on the new truck, it will serve you well...!!!
Dont worry about the small things with the new truck, just enjoy it.
Change the engine oil ASAP to valvoline synthetic and use the factory oil filters.

Thanks, so far so GREAT!

Good info, I was planning on going synthetic but wasn't sure which exactly to pick up. Is there a standard/recommended weight? I live down South in Texas with plenty of heat... Pick up the factory filters from the dealer?

OP
OP
LU229

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, so far so GREAT!

Good info, I was planning on going synthetic but wasn't sure which exactly to pick up. Is there a standard/recommended weight? I live down South in Texas with plenty of heat... Pick up the factory filters from the dealer?

All my hemi vehicles have done excellent with valvoline "synpower" synthetic oils.
(no worries with texas heat with valvoline synthetic synpower oil, its EXCELLENT ****...!)
Dont even bother with mobil 1, i`ve had issues with EVERY hemi vehicle i`ve used it in.
(with mobil 1, you`ll eventually hear lifters ticking, and have blue smoke out the tailpipes)
With this truck you have now, do NOT run anything but 5w20 in it or the MDS system wont work properly.
If you have a WALMART store near by, they sell the MOPAR oil filters for $5 bucks.
I believe the MOPAR part number is MO899, but look it up to be sure.
They also sell the valvoline synpower synthetic oil as well. (you`ll need 7qts)
The 09 on up hemi`s are different than the 08 on back when it comes to oil filters. Make sure you get the correct oil filter.(thats an absolute must...!!!) If you do your own oil changes, make sure when you spin the old oil filter off that the old o-ring seal comes off with the old oil filter. Sometimes they can stick to the engine block and if not noticed, you`ll have a huge oil leak and possibly seize up the engine if you dont catch it in time. Another trick to changing the oil in these trucks, grab yourself a plastic shopping bag, once you break the oil filter free, slip the bag over the oil filter and spin it right off.(that saves you alot of mess) Fill your new filter with oil before you spin it back on. Grip the filter good, tighten with a good amount of hand pressure to seat it good. When it comes time to re-install the drain plug, clean it off with some brake-clean, spin it back in until finger tight, grab your torque wrench and set it to 25ftlbs, and no more. Once the TW clicks, you`re done. Last but NOT least, dump all 7qts of valvoline in, start the truck, check for leaks, then jump in an drive it like you stole it.

Just some good advice bro, change that rear differential lube ASAP...!
Here again, use valvoline FULL SYNTHETIC 75/140 weight (you`ll need 3 qts of it to do the job)
Dump it in until its just about ready to over flow out of the "Rubber Fill Plug" hole on the rear cover.
If you have a 4x4, the front differential take`s 75/90 weight.
Good time to check your transmission oil level while your under the hood. (dipstick will tell you how its checked)

I`m not a valvoline rep or salesman or anything of the sort, i`ve just had the BEST luck with their products.

Happy hemi-ing my texas brother...! :)

Last edited:

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
sooooo question before i go to the dealer wed...................is this... Star Case:S1121000005 an actual recal? what does that number mean? can my dealer look it up. cause i called today(i diddnt have that number) and they have no idea of any torque conveter issues, or the cats falling apart that i read on another forum.
just looking for any imput before i go into the dealer and tell them to rip apart my new truck

roadkingken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Torque converter groan

I just had my torque converter replaced under warranty for this problem. The truck has 6000 miles and I started noticing this problem around 1000 miles and it got progressively louder. It took the dealer 2 days to finally isolate the noise. I initially thought it was a harmonic vibration from the exhaust and tolerated it until it started getting louder. My truck was the first one the dealer had ever checked with this problem. Hope this helps. 2011 Ram 1500 ST quad cab 4X4 Hemi 5.7 3:92 axle ABQ New Mexico

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
has any one had this problem on a 2012 yet??

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my 2012 dc 4x4 5.7 sport Saturday. I have 167 miles on it no issues like stated above. Only thing I'm concerned about but was told is normal is standing next to it while running it seems a little loud. Engine noise wise.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Just got my 2012 dc 4x4 5.7 sport Saturday. I have 167 miles on it no issues like stated above. Only thing I'm concerned about but was told is normal is standing next to it while running it seems a little loud. Engine noise wise.

Welcome to RF!!!

If you start hearing a tick that is normal too. I'm being serious....the hemi's are known to tick........sucks but they do.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 has the whine that's described. I've been putting off taking it in cause it seems like my dealer always screws up something else or breaks something when they work on my truck.

Grayshadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 "Express" with 5.7 Hemi and seems to have this drone issue between 40-50 mph!
I can drop it down to 5th and the drone goes away!

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has dodge made this an actual recall? Have they corrected the current converters so when they fix this problem on our trucks, the new converter they install won't do the same thing?