2013 headlight activation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Would someone be so kind as to do a test for me. I'm working on wiring in the 2013 projectors into the older Rams. Could someone please turn on their high beams and then check at the headlight to see if you hear any sort of a hum. I'm trying to see if that is normal for these or if I'm giving mine too much power after the shutter activates.

Thanks

tmo1620

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill check in the morning when I get off work and post up my findings, should be by 6am or so

tmo1620

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard no hum this morning with high beams on

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will need a constant 12V+ to the shutter to keep the high beam activated.
You might need to install a capacitor to help smooth the voltage to it.

I don't entirely understand the underlying cause of the issue, only that it exists.

OP
OP
T

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm working on wiring the 13 projectors on a 12 and I have the solenoid T off the high beam wire. But when it activates it creates a humming sound. The shutter activates but I guess it's still getting too much power and causing a hum. It improved significantly with the resistor but was still there. I'm going to try another resistor later and see if I can get it low enough that the hum is gone but the shutter still activates. I'm guessing this is controlled by something in the 13s which the rest of us don't have. I just don't want to keep the power going to it too high and see flames coming out of my headlights at night.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I just installed a set of the factory projectors I purchased from JJ (RetroShop) on my 2013 which was equipped with the quads, and I noticed a couple issues...The high beams have a loud humming noise when activated. This occurs when the vehicle is running or in ACC mode.

I also noticed the courtesy lights on the mirrors no longer illuminate when the doors are open or shut at night, and also when I lock or unlock the vehicle with the remote. The EVIC shows a message that reads "parking light out"

any ideas to remedy these problems? :)

OP
OP
T

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You have to install a relay to keep the projectors from humming. I had to install a load equalizer to keep the turns from hyper flashing and showing a bulb out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobram1500