2013 Wheel squeak/squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cficraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. Yesterday I took my Ram for a swim in the streets of flooded Illinois. Probably a bad idea, I know. The water in some spots was maybe a foot deep, but mostly 6-8 inches. Lots of stranded/stalled vehicles but my truck *seemed* to get through it all no worse for wear. The worst patch of the flood I went through was a grassy area and water a foot deep give or take.

Now, intermittently, I am getting a squeal/whistle almost like a worn brake pad. It changes intensity as I roll the steering wheel right and left. I've had a few bad wheel bearings in other cars and I wouldn't call this the same sound. It's also not pitch-matched to the wheel speed like a bearing would be. The pitch of the squeal may be loud when I first roll the truck but then go completely away for 10 miles.

I absolutely love this truck. I just traded in my F150 and after owning the Ford for almost 2 years I think I washed it twice. I've owned the Ram for 2 months and I've washed it at least 10 times. If I damaged something I'll be inconsolable for weeks.

I had it up on jacks yesterday and couldn't find anything obvious. The rotors still look and feel smooth, no weird grooves cut into them. I thought if it persists I may remove the calipers and clean them.

Any of you ever take your truck for a swim in a wading pool and end up with an occasional wheel squeak/squeal/whistle?

Thanks, and for any of you that ended up with a flooded basement you're not alone, best of luck!

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i recnetly had a squeak when i would mainly accelrate. turned out to be dry bushing on suspension part

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
A friend of mine had something similar happen on his Ford after going through a little bit of mud. He pressure washed the wheels, breaks suspension an it was still there. turned out to be a rock that got in between the right front rotor and the dust shield. It was a pain to pry out without bending up the shield. A long shot... but maybe.
Good luck.

Zach

OP
OP
C

cficraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend of mine had something similar happen on his Ford after going through a little bit of mud. He pressure washed the wheels, breaks suspension an it was still there. turned out to be a rock that got in between the right front rotor and the dust shield. It was a pain to pry out without bending up the shield. A long shot... but maybe.
Good luck.

Zach

Hey thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't a rock but a good sized oak chip from landscaping mulch sandwiched between the rotor and the dust shield. The chip wasn't gouging the rotor but vibrating the dust shield and making horrendous noise. Problem solved.

cheers

Reactions: ZCR

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well glad you got it out. Keep that 2013 nice.