2014 "anti spin differential" and wheel hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eharshbarger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all. I have recently purchased a 14 1500 Laramie 4x4 5.7 hemi qcsb. I love it so far! I have the window sticker and on the options it has 3.92 gears (happy about that) and "anti spin diff". I figured it will be nice in the winter. I have noticed now though it has really bad wheel hop if i turn off traction control on wet roads and also off road. Off road as in dirt trail heads where I ride my dirt bike. It only has 40k on it so I can't see it being bad bushings in the rear and tire pressure is spot on. Rear tires are ok on tread. I was wondering for starters what kind of unit is the anti spin of it's a lsd unit with clutches or what. Burnouts are an absolute no with this truck as well.

OP
OP
E

Eharshbarger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump and admin is this in the wrong section?

OP
OP
E

Eharshbarger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes even that it hops like crazy, grass and dirt included or gravel. Obviously hard on components. I'm wondering if the anti spin distributes power back and fourth between the rear tires when they loose traction instead of a limited slip

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mine hops too. I let about 4 psi out of the tires and it seemed to help some

tuned by Jay Greene

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if anti-spin has anything to do with it. My older RAM with open diffs would hop, especially in reverse. It had leaf springs and I added ladder bars to pretty much eliminate the hop. The axle hop was due to the axle wrapping a bit until the tires loose traction and then snaps back. Anything that improves traction (better tires) or controls axle wrap (like ladder bars or stiffer springs) will help. I think I broke the welds on those bars a couple times, lots of stress there.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pretty typical; the "anti spin" does not work like a traditional limited slip rear diff. I've actually found it a little unpredictable. My main concern was driving in the grass when things were wet and slippery.
I didn't want one tire to take off spinning and the truck go nowhere like in a open diff. Surprisingly under certain situations it will do just that, but most of the time I will get good traction with both rear tires on a solid surface. I think this is really the design.
With the power the Hemi makes; if you had a open rear diff there would be many circumstances the truck would just smoke one rear tire when leaving from a stop under aggressive throttle. On road surfaces, the "and-spin" seems to work pretty well. Not so much on off-road surfaces, including wet grass.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I have recently purchased a 14 1500 Laramie 4x4 5.7 hemi qcsb. I love i I was wondering for starters what kind of unit is the anti spin of it's a lsd unit with clutches or what. Burnouts are an absolute no with this truck as well.

I've read that the anti spin used in RAMs for years is the AAM Track rite helical/worm gear type diff, similar to Eaton's and Detroit's trutrack. But currently that may be the 2500s and 3500s only. According to the spec sheet, the 1500s get the corporate C235 mm that requires a friction modifier. Not much info on that, probably works like a conventional clutch type limited slip.

Where the clutch type may chatter, the gear type normally works smoothly. The rub is if one wheel has no traction (like off the ground) it will get all the power and you sit there. They need just a little traction to work and, in the old days, applying a bit of brake would get you moving. Dunno how it works with todays traction control. So applying a bit of brake in your situation may it smooth out, if the issue is not axle wrap.

They use worm wheel gears that work on the same principle as a worm gear. When the unit is loaded, the worm wheels are forced away from each other and against the case. They develop locking torque by the light friction between the worm wheels and the case. The unit works very well for mud and snow, while going unnoticed during every day driving. There is no clutches to wear and no friction modifier required. They don't completely lock up, perhaps a 3 to 1 torque ratio difference max.

Last edited:

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
I have a '14 RCSB Hemi 4×2 (came as 3.21 open rear). I installed the factory limited slip carrier and changed to 3.55 gears, after gear/carrier change I did a bunch of burn outs, on asphalt, concrete, and with one tire on grass and the other on both types of pavement and have never had wheel hop. The LSD carrier in the ZF does NOT have preload springs like most of the other limited slip (posi) units, they rely on the gear profile of the side and spider gears along with traction control to initiate lock up of the limited slip clutches (yes they have clutches and steels like Eaton units).