2014 Ram 1500 rear hub bearing replacment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldogpi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I'm pretty sure my passenger side rear hub bearing is going as I have been hearing a whining from that area of the truck. Everything I see shows just a bearing and a race. Has anyone done this replacement before and have any tips? Do I have to do both at the same time or can I just do the bad one? Any special tools I need? Thanks!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The axle shaft bearing is pressed into the housing, you'll need a special tool for that. A slide hammer with the appropriate adapter works well. You'll also need the seal. To remove the axle you'll have to pull the diff cover and remove the cross pin and C-clip. You would be fine just replacing the bad one.

Are you sure it's the axle bearing and not the diff bearings?

OP
OP
D

dieseldogpi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Honestly I'm not sure. I think the hub bearing because its definitely only coming from one side. Its weird too because the truck only has 46K on it. Is there an easy way to diagnose?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Honestly I'm not sure. I think the hub bearing because its definitely only coming from one side. Its weird too because the truck only has 46K on it. Is there an easy way to diagnose?

Easiest way is to put it on jackstands, have someone drive the truck on the jackstands and use a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr