2014 Ram dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zakker

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A looking
Engine
N/A looking
Hello,
Picked my new black express 3 weeks ago. Yesterday while at the store came out and keyfob would not open the door. I used the real key to get in and then tried to start it. It wouldn't even click or roll over! Called roadside and they tried to jump it to no avail. Flatbedded it to the dealership.
I haven't even made a damn payment on it yet....not a good start for a Chevy convert.
Anybody have a clue what's going on?
I sure hate that this is my first post.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds like something went bad in the key fob. Boosting was a waste of time as the ignition has a sensor that recognizes the key. So if the key went bad it wouldn't start it. Have you tried the other key fob?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off, welcome to RF! Sorry to hear about this..

When you turn the ignition on, can you hear the fuel pump prime?

Everybody on this forum is here to help, so please keep this thread updated so we can do what we can to help you out.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like something went bad in the key fob. Boosting was a waste of time as the ignition has a sensor that recognizes the key. So if the key went bad it wouldn't start it. Have you tried the other key fob?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Damnit Dave, you beat me from posting first lol..

Anyways, yes I was thinking a bad key fob. Try the other fobs as well as listening for the fuel pump priming

OP
OP
Z

zakker

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A looking
Engine
N/A looking
Thanks guys. No lights on and tried both fobs. Never heard anything. If I manually pressed the door locks they worked for a bit and then quit. That lead me to the battery being dead. But jumping it did not work.

BTW, is there a way to get that into neutral if neutral if the steering column is locked out? Like an override toggle?

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure there is a way, I just don't know how. Somebody who knows will chime in soon

OP
OP
Z

zakker

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A looking
Engine
N/A looking
Problem solved. The tech put his code reader on it and it would not read anything. So he started looking for the open circuit. Apparently there was a connector under the dash that vibrated loose. I asked if this was something I could see, or kick, and he said no way I could've have hit it. Too far up in. Said it was probably never fully connected at the factory and finally vibrated loose..

OP
OP
Z

zakker

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A looking
Engine
N/A looking
Thanks! Hope troubles like this are far and few!

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
nice easy fix with nothing really wrong!! now post some pics of your truck!! haha

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was really interested in this thread. The 2014 truck I ordered came in with a dent in the roof. The dealer sent it to the body shop. When I called to see if it was ready, they said there was another problem, that they could not get it to start, and even had to push it into the paint booth. I think they left it in the accessory position. There is a great thread at http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/Keyless_Entry_System_Exposed.htm which gives a lot of info.
The body shop guy tells me they tried to jump it, but it still did not start.
So they pushed it over to the service dept. and they claimed it was a dead battery. go figure. I have read that there is a high and low battery set point that will prevent starting, so maybe that was the root cause.
Hope this is not going to repeat. We have a Lexus, that has NEVER had a keyless start problem.
New to the forum, and hope to post more after I get the truck...should be tomorrow:cocktail:

Dan

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Weird, same thing happened to a buddy of mine, had 150 miles on his truck and it wouldn't start
Went to the dealer and they told him it was a loose plug under the dash

PicRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happened to me after 4 days with a new truck. Makes you think….

Towed into the dealership and then it started when it was put back on the ground!!! Was told, "They sometimes do that." WTF?!?!?!?
They reloaded the software and it has been fine since although they say they will be replacing the sending diode for the wireless systems in the truck as a "precaution" once they get one in. The dealership said they have heard of this going on.

Question for the orig poster, did you get any faults from your tire pressure monitoring system? That was the first thing that I saw as i drove (I know you weren't when you tried to start it, but maybe previously). That was apparently the first indication of a problem with the wireless sending unit.

Hope this helps.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happened to me after 4 days with a new truck. Makes you think….

Towed into the dealership and then it started when it was put back on the ground!!! Was told, "They sometimes do that." WTF?!?!?!?
They reloaded the software and it has been fine since although they say they will be replacing the sending diode for the wireless systems in the truck as a "precaution" once they get one in. The dealership said they have heard of this going on.

Watchout, they are BSing you. A diode is not something the dealer would replace. A diode would be mounted on a circuit board 99% of the time when related to electronics (yes there are button diodes in your alternator).
The should replace a complete module. there are several. PEM (Passive Entry Module", WIN "Wireless Ignition Module" or KIN "Keyless ignition module".

For my problem, I am going to talk to the Sales GM today, and have him take me to the technician who is working on the "no Start" problem.
Yesterday I posted after they said "the truck had a dead battery, and it was fixed". Then I was told later in the day, it still has a problem. It will start when you use the FOBIK to push the start button (I think this bypasses the radio link for authentication). But this removes any faith I have it the guy who is working on the truck.
I don't want this think to die when I am 50 miles from home.

Dan

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably the connector for the remote start module. Glad it wasn't serious!

kennyguy95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 Hemi
Same problem

Hey Zakker. Today i just dealt with the same problem you described. I have a 2014 ram 1500 and I was sitting in it earlier, it was idling in park and I was listening to music. For no reason, my wind shield wipers went nuts and all the lights in my dash turned on and everything kinda went nuts. Well, I turned off the engine and waited a minute to try to start it again and there was nothing. I turned my keyfob and no lights or anything turned on. My truck definitely still has power though because I can lock it and unlock it with the door panel controls and also the done lights turn on no problem, but the truck won't turn on at all. No clicking, no fuel pump whirring. So I was wondering @Zakker if you remember which wire it was in your dash that was disconnected? Also if anyone else could help me that'd be great. I really don't wanna get it towed and I'd like to fix it myself if possible. Thanks yall

CarolinaMV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id like a 2nd key fob... just cant afford it.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi kennyguy95,
Any DTCs present? Those will help identify which fuse or circuit needs attention.