2015 oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'm getting an oil leak around the top of the oil filter for the second time now. Both oil changes were done at the dealer where I purchased the truck. The filter is tight by hand. I read somewhere about a TSB on this but can't find it now.

My other concern is paying for another oil change since it's not due for one yet. Anyone else has this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Pic for clicks

f56cbfbb7ffdfbec2e3d9c0fcf438abe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably gasket issue. Either the gasket on the filter is malformed or there is old gasket material stuck from a previous filter that is not allowing a proper seal.

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably gasket issue. Either the gasket on the filter is malformed or there is old gasket material stuck from a previous filter that is not allowing a proper seal.
Then why would it do this two oil changes in a row and finally start leaking after 3k miles though?

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got up under the truck this morning and decided to see how tight the filter was, sure as **** it was barely on there. I was able to turn it a full half turn tighter. Hopefully that solves the issue.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Got up under the truck this morning and decided to see how tight the filter was, sure as **** it was barely on there. I was able to turn it a full half turn tighter. Hopefully that solves the issue.

Who changes the oil?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
hand tighten must mean different things to different people. I tighten them on as tightly as I can by hand. I've never had one leak on me, and I very probably have installed 500 filters over the last 50 years.
To someone else, maybe someone who's played video games and or texted for the last 10 years, they'd probably have to use a filter wrench to take one of mine off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hand tighten must mean different things to different people. I tighten them on as tightly as I can by hand. I've never had one leak on me, and I very probably have installed 500 filters over the last 50 years.
To someone else, maybe someone who's played video games and or texted for the last 10 years, they'd probably have to use a filter wrench to take one of mine off.
I grew up in the country hunting and fishing, now I work in law enforcement and have always been a blue collar guy. What I'm trying to say is you and I probably have the same definition of hand tight. Ha ha

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
The dealer did my last change. It was free. From now on I'll be doing them myself

Oh okay... I remember going to JL one time, took it to the dealer the next and they said I was a quart low. I asked if the filter was loose and they said yes, just like you, it's done by me.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer did my last change. It was free. From now on I'll be doing them myself

Or they were just lazy and/or in a hurry.

The company that does the oil changes for our work vans at work left filters on 10 different vans barely tight, mine was one of them. Luckily mine was a minor drip. Tightened it up when I got home and its been fine. One of my coworkers wasn't so lucky. He got an oil change first thing in the morning and by the time he got to his first job, the engine was knocking slightly and there was a puddle of oil in the customers driveway. He had it towed back to the office where they found he had lost almost all the oil. All because the filter wasn't tight enough.

This and your example is why NO ONE but me changes the oil in my truck.

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or they were just lazy and/or in a hurry.

The company that does the oil changes for our work vans at work left filters on 10 different vans barely tight, mine was one of them. Luckily mine was a minor drip. Tightened it up when I got home and its been fine. One of my coworkers wasn't so lucky. He got an oil change first thing in the morning and by the time he got to his first job, the engine was knocking slightly and there was a puddle of oil in the customers driveway. He had it towed back to the office where they found he had lost almost all the oil. All because the filter wasn't tight enough.

This and your example is why NO ONE but me changes the oil in my truck.

Yeah **** happens, I will be doing it myself from now on. I'm just glad I caught this before it developed into a bigger issue. Hopefully this solves the issue.