4th gen recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I checked https://www.moparownerconnect.com for recalls on my truck and came back with 3,
R47: INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE,
R36: THE STEERING WHEEL WIRE HARNESS MAY BECOME CHAFFED BY THE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE RETAINER SPRING ENDS. A CHAFFED STEERING WHEEL WIRE HARNESS COULD CAUSE AN ELECTRICAL SHORT AND/OR AN INADVERTENT DRIVER AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT. INADVERTENT DRIVER AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT, DURING CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH AND/OR VEHICLE OCCUPANT INJURY.
R23: THE ORC MODULE MUST BE REPROGRAMMED WITH NEW SOFTWARE. Funny, no letter or anything from my dealer or Fiat! Great customer service!

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if my airbag ever goes off for no reason i'm gonna be pissed. i keep hearing about all these recalls tho and it looks like some should apply to me but no letters yet

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if my airbag ever goes off for no reason i'm gonna be pissed. i keep hearing about all these recalls tho and it looks like some should apply to me but no letters yet

Airbag deployments are no joke. A small explosive charge is what inflates the bag; think about shooting a .22 caliber handgun blank inside for a similar effect.

Not to mention that most vehicles with airbags disable the ignition and fuel pump after deployment, so you'll be stranded, too. :(

Better pray you're not driving down the freeway at 70 mph because when the fuel and ignition cuts, so will your power steering. Oh, and on top of it all, if your engine's not turning, you have basically no vacuum assist for your brake hydraulics.

I'm blowing up my dealer's phone to get this fixed ASAP. :)

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

Last edited:

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Airbag deployments are no joke. A small explosive charge is what inflates the bag; think about shooting a .22 caliber handgun blank inside for a similar effect.

Not to mention that most vehicles with airbags disable the ignition and fuel pump after deployment, so you'll be stranded, too. :(

Better pray you're not driving down the freeway at 70 mph because when the fuel and ignition cuts, so will your power steering. Oh, and on top of it all, if your engine's not turning, you have basically no vacuum assist for your brake hydraulics.

yeah i was a passenger a few years back and got to feel the effects. smashed up my nose and got some nasty burn on my face

i didn't know some actually disable the dam vehicle. it's bad enough to get smashed in the face but now they wanna top it off by making it nearly impossible to not actually wreck afterwards oh and just to add salt to the wound your already deployed airbag is now useless during that wreck

DTarve23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How is it that a chaffed wire can be fixed by reprogramming a module

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The one recall is Dated September (10?),2015. I believe it states 2 known occurrences.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How is it that a chaffed wire can be fixed by reprogramming a module
It can't. You are confusing two different recalls. They have to zip tie the airbag wires into a new direction and rubber cap two exposed metal retaining wires to avoid chaffing the electrical wires inside the steering column. Chaffing could lead to a short, which could lead to power going to the air bag firing circuit without a collision. BAM! Face full of airbag.

Here is the step by step repair procedure the dealer will follow. They could use electrical tape or shrink-wrap, but Chrysler has created purpose built plastic caps. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V459-0715.pdf

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
All I know is this is the fifth recall on my truck and I have never once received so much as an email from the jerkoffs at Fiat. Yet the 2010 Ford I traded in a year and a half ago on my Fiat just had a recall and I got a card in the mail.

I also got a call from the dealership along with a post card from Hyundai on my 2008 Santa Fe about a valve cover gasket recall. Maybe it was the dealers way of drumming up business but at least they called, scheduled the appointment and did the job.

Now as far as Fiat goes the only way I have been informed by them about any recalls is thru the owners website that I have to sign into, really? The other way is when I bring it in for a service or warranty claim and the weasel behind the service counter tells me about it.

Oh speak of the devil the last time I had to make an appointment for an oil change and to have my ebrake cable and inside drivers tire replaced under warranty, (cable was routed wrong from the factory and was cutting into the tire). At the time I made the appointment which was 2 weeks out, I was told about the TPMS recall so I said fine do that to. Fast forward 2 weeks later when I bring it in he says we have to order the parts for the recall and make another appointment, I was a bit pissed.

So in a little more than a year

Recalls
1 Radio frequency hub reprogram
2 Abs module reprogram
3 TPMS sensors replaced
4 Oil filter adapter replaced
5 Steering column wiring harness rerouting

Is anyone on here confused as to why or sympathetic to these clowns for getting there pee pee slapped by the NTSHA, personally I think they got off too easy.

Just my 02

DanPop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are not recalls, they are TSB's and don't require a mailing like a recall does.

DTarve23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It can't. You are confusing two different recalls. They have to zip tie the airbag wires into a new direction and rubber cap two exposed metal retaining wires to avoid chaffing the electrical wires inside the steering column. Chaffing could lead to a short, which could lead to power going to the air bag firing circuit without a collision. BAM! Face full of airbag.

Here is the step by step repair procedure the dealer will follow. They could use electrical tape or shrink-wrap, but Chrysler has created purpose built plastic caps. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V459-0715.pdf

My bad misread that :sorry:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
These are not recalls, they are TSB's and don't require a mailing like a recall does.

Funny when I log onto moparownerconnect.com
I get this

There is a Recall in effect!

An their is a link that sends me to the "RECALLS PAGE"!
When I hit that link it lists the steering column harness as "R36 SAFETY RECALL"!

The others are listed as campaigns!

Here are Fiats definitions

Outstanding Recall Information - U.S. and Canada
Answer ID 18737 | Published 09/24/2010 08:28 PM | Updated 07/16/2015 04:17 PM
Where can I find information pertaining to safety recalls or campaigns on my vehicle?
FCA US LLC regards safety as paramount and does not compromise on the safety of our customers and their families. Your confidence in our products and our services is of utmost importance to us. As a result of our commitment to you, we will periodically recall a vehicle to correct a problem or improve overall performance.
What is a safety recall?
Safety recalls include any problem encountered with an FCA US product related to the safe operation of the vehicle or the safety of the occupants. FCA US will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.
What is a campaign?
A campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern. There are two types:
Emissions Recall - Emissions are problems related to the Federal emissions warranty standards. FCA US will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.
Customer Satisfaction Notification - Customer Satisfaction Notifications are preventive in nature and involve warranty or customer satisfaction issues such as non-safety repairs. FCA US will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.
How do I know if my vehicle is involved in a recall or campaign?
Vehicle owners are notified by direct mail for both safety recalls and campaigns. Information about safety recalls is also typically available through the print and/or broadcast media. The notices sent through the mail will give owners the direction they need to have the recall or campaign properly addressed.
Visit Recall VIN Lookup to view recall notifications not yet performed on your vehicle.The vehicle identification number (VIN) is located on the VIN plate on the dashboard of your vehicle. You can also find the VIN on your sales agreement, insurance documents, vehicle registration, or title.
My vehicle is involved in a recall. Do I need a recall notification to get my car repaired?
If your recall letter tells you to schedule the needed repair with the dealer, just make the appointment at any authorized dealer to have the repair completed. You do not need to bring any documentation with you.

Even the campaigns they themselves call recalls albeit under emissions. The bottom line is these are all considered mandatory fixes updates etc. The ABS module needing to be reprogrammed that's a safety issue, the dash cluster needing to be reprogrammed to avoid the lights going out is a safety issue.....

Whatever the jackoffs at Fiat choose to call them and I believe if they have an "R" in front of them they are a "RECALL", they have an obligation to notify the customer which so far as I know no such notification is or has taken place!

You say "Tomayto" I say "Tomato" either way its a defect and the jerks should be notifying us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's taken me over a week to get my service dept on the phone. They just told me they don't have parts for this recall yet. Seriously?

Anyone else have this experience? Perhaps it's time to find another dealer and service department.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So it's taken me over a week to get my service dept on the phone. They just told me they don't have parts for this recall yet. Seriously?

Anyone else have this experience? Perhaps it's time to find another dealer and service department.

Everybody and their dog is trying to get it done at the same time. Other dealers are probably in the same boat with a shortage of parts and time to schedule it getting done

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Of course they dont have the parts. The parts will be used to repair their own stock before anyone elses. Seriously think they will fix yours or mine first? LOLz:)

As far as the R47, I'll take my chances.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That website sucks so much, non of the pdf files dowload, it just spins ...:homoswitch:

Attempting to access Safercar.gov interactive functions

You have been redirected to this page because some interactive functions on SaferCar.gov may be experiencing intermittent disruption due to routine maintenance or heavy traffic demand. Affected functions include the ability to File a Complaint and the ability to search and browse for recalls, complaints and investigations.

If you were attempting to file a complaint on a vehicle, child seat, tire or equipment, we strongly encourage you to call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and make that complaint to a customer service representative.

You can also chat online with a Hotline representative by clicking here.

We apologize for any inconveniences and thank you for your patience.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Whatever the jackoffs at Fiat choose to call them and I believe if they have an "R" in front of them they are a "RECALL", they have an obligation to notify the customer which so far as I know no such notification is or has taken place!

You say "Tomayto" I say "Tomato" either way its a defect and the jerks should be notifying us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recalls will have a letter and number designation, like R23 or P56 etc. There are also RRT(Rapid Response Transmittals) and TSB's(Technical Service Bulletin).

Recalls are covered under warranty for life, were as TSB's/RRT'sare usually only covered under basic warranty.

If any of you guys are concerned about if your vehicles are actually effected, or have any specific questions about a recall, feel free to PM me with your VIN and I will look into it.

Last edited:

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a safety recall in the mail yesterday and another today. Yesterday was R36 (steering wheel wiring harness) and today is R23 (occupant restraint control module) Reprogramming which I think is what they already did. I bring it Thursday to have the rear shocks checked and the headliner issue. Mine is a lease so I will have it done.