8 speed clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
Still ............

........ my truck is in the shop (6th time). Today will be day 5. Got a call from the dealership and said they played phone-tag with Chrysler Engineering all day yesterday with no success.

Dealer refuses to go into the transmission or r-end w/o Engineer blessing and Direction!

I was promised a call from Chrysler today?????????

The "clunk" saga continues.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
5 day and counting .....

thats how long its been in the shop this time! Was told Friday, they'll let me know Monday if Chrysler Engineering comes up with a cause & repair! :favorites68:

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
That totally sucks! I hope they get it figured out quickly! ****** you off when you're paying for something you're not driving & enjoying! Best of luck to you!

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Willee,

I have the same powertrain and I have developed the same problem. Mine started around 8000 miles. I took mine in once without duplication. I really dislike the feel of it, and the fact that it didn't start until 8000 miles.

The gas in the tank thing is not this problem. If the gas was sloshing, the clunk would be felt right after stopping. This occurs after sitting at a stop, then releasing the brake.

Let us know when you know some more. I hope you got it back by now.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
ANd Engineering said.......

OK, went by to check on my truck, which has been in the shop, this time, now 8-days!

Chrysler Engineering has decided the “clunk “and corresponding bump to the rear feeling, is the transmission! Seems the lower gears are changing at speeds higher than designed! For example low is changing at about 12-13 mph, and should be around 5-mph. OK!

They were going to completely “reprogram the transmission” and then would have to take it out and drive it for about 2-hrs, as it has adaptive-driving memory?? This smells like "BS" to me!!!!

NOW ......... If this re-programming does not work, they will replace the “valve-body” inside the transmission hoping for a fix!

The saga continues.

Last edited:

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
OK, went by to check on my truck, which has been in the shop, this time, now 8-days!

Chrysler Engineering has decided the “clunk “and corresponding bump to the rear feeling, is the transmission! Seems the lower gears are changing at speeds higher than designed! For example low is changing at about 12-13 mph, and should be around 5-mph. OK!

They were going to completely “reprogram the transmission” and then would have to take it out and drive it for about 2-hrs, as it has adaptive-driving memory?? This smells like "BS" to me!!!!

NOW ......... If this re-programming does not work, they will replace the “valve-body” inside the transmission hoping for a fix!

The saga continues.

It does sound like BS! Although I agree the PCM does have adaptive memory, it's already adapted to your particular style of driving. It learns your driving habits during the first 50 warm-up cycles and then continues monitor and adapt. Having someone else drive it around for a couple hours doesn't make any sense!

These people are about as useful as a **** flavored lollipop!

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Well

... folks there is a thread on here, saying that if your VEN has an "S" in the 11th digit, it was made at the Warren Plant!

The thread contains Newspaper articles about serious concerns with quality at this plant, regarding 2013 models!

Do a search and you should find it!

Oh, day 8 and truck is still in the shop.

------------------------------
http://www.ramforum.com/f38/2013_ram_1500_issues-39102/index2.html

Look toward the middle of this page and you'll see 2 posts with links to different newspaper articles

Last edited:

MrHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed this bump in my truck today. Never felt it before. Will call the dealer after the new year an see whats up.

OP
OP
R

RogerM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
mine is still unchanged, No worse or better. I will have mine looked at next service.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
... folks there is a thread on here, saying that if your VEN has an "S" in the 11th digit, it was made at the Warren Plant!

What's your point? Over 95% of the Ram 1500's are built at Warren. Only the RCSB is built in Saltillo.

RaymondT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2007-2013 GM trucks used to develop that same clunk but usually after a few years or so depending on how much salt and moisture your truck is exposed to in your area. The cause was a build up of rust/corrosion on the outside of the splined yoke at the forward end of your driveline where it slides into the transfer case. The transfer case has a rubber "dirt" boot that this yoke slides into. Axle wrap from acceleration and deceleration causes the driveshaft to slide in and out of this boot. The rust ridge makes it hang up, then pop loose driving the shaft forward. This is the nudge from behind that you feel.

Drop the driveshaft, wire-wheel the ridge off, polish it up with wet n' dry 400, then 1000grit. Lube inside (splines) and out (smooth surface) with whatever you use in the transfer case. Reassemble. Instantly cured on my GM.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Thanks...........

2007-2013 GM trucks used to develop that same clunk but usually after a few years or so depending on how much salt and moisture your truck is exposed to in your area. The cause was a build up of rust/corrosion on the outside of the splined yoke at the forward end of your driveline where it slides into the transfer case. The transfer case has a rubber "dirt" boot that this yoke slides into. Axle wrap from acceleration and deceleration causes the driveshaft to slide in and out of this boot. The rust ridge makes it hang up, then pop loose driving the shaft forward. This is the nudge from behind that you feel.

Drop the driveshaft, wire-wheel the ridge off, polish it up with wet n' dry 400, then 1000grit. Lube inside (splines) and out (smooth surface) with whatever you use in the transfer case. Reassemble. Instantly cured on my GM.
----------------
...... but my "Clunk/bump" problem was traced by Chrysler Engineers to the transmission :crazy:

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What did they ever come up with on your truck? I am taking mine in on Tuesday and it would be good to have a bit of direction. Did they identify it, did they fix it?

kidwolf908

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not saying you all are experiencing the same issue and I'm not trying to belittle anyone's genuine transmission problems, but these trucks do have torque converter lockup clutches that make the TC a solid, mechanical connection after about 25-30mph. And when slowing down to a stop, the lockup clutch will disengage around those same speeds, which can feel like a bump/clunk. After all, the driveline has torque wound up in it from the engine and transmission being connected mechanically and then it suddenly switches to a fluid connection.

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I took my truck in today. The tech felt what I was describing, so they are going to replace the front half of my drive shaft; transmission end. I seem to be getting action because I got Chrysler involved.

I'll keep you updated...

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Got the truck back after one night in the shop. They replaced the entire driveshaft from transmission to the rear differential. On the drive home, not once did I feel what I was feeling everyday, every drive.

They mentioned there is a "controller update" in the works for transmission shift enhancements. They said they will notify me when its available.

Not once did my service writer mention this is an existing issue, known problem, etc. They will never admit to an issue, but I will say, there must be a known issue with this. I don't believe they would have replaced the entire driveshaft if they are searching for a solution.

I will let you know if the issue still exists...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963