8 speed clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Got the truck back after one night in the shop. They replaced the entire driveshaft from transmission to the rear differential. On the drive home, not once did I feel what I was feeling everyday, every drive.

They mentioned there is a "controller update" in the works for transmission shift enhancements. They said they will notify me when its available.

Not once did my service writer mention this is an existing issue, known problem, etc. They will never admit to an issue, but I will say, there must be a known issue with this. I don't believe they would have replaced the entire driveshaft if they are searching for a solution.

I will let you know if the issue still exists...

Let us know if you hear of the trans update being released.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
Thanks for the update. I do feel an odd clunk from time to time, but certainly not as noticeable as your truck.

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine was doing a number of things on a daily basis. I put 60 miles on it today without incident. It feels like it did when it was new.

My only question now is what caused the problem to happen in the first place? It didn't start until around 8000 miles. I am wondering if I did anything to cause the problem.

I will, by the way, let you know when I hear about the update.

murph3204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was experiencing the same type of "bump" and/or "clunk" at slow speeds for quite a while and finally got around to taking it to the dealer. They test drove it and told me that it's nothing out of the ordinary and condidered it "normal". I sent a snip-it of Retired Coastie's experience with what his dealer did and after seeing that, my dealer contacted Chrysler. Chrysler indicated that it was a known problem and told the dealer to replace the driveshaft and perform a manual re-learn on the trans. The dealer did just that and it's been two days now and the issues I was having have completely gone away. It performs flawlessly and shifts are as smooth as glass. Thanks Retired Coastie for providing the information!

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Has anyone, besides me, noticed this with their 2014 model? I purchased it last month with a build in May, and I have a clunk in the back end when I stop and then again when I start back up. Taking it to the dealer next Monday but thought I'd check to see if anyone else is having this issue. My concern is the clunk is intermittent however it occurs 70% of the time in stop and go traffic.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone, besides me, noticed this with their 2014 model? I purchased it last month with a build in May, and I have a clunk in the back end when I stop and then again when I start back up. Taking it to the dealer next Monday but thought I'd check to see if anyone else is having this issue. My concern is the clunk is intermittent however it occurs 70% of the time in stop and go traffic.

mine does it but it's pretty rare and only on stops. happens maybe 2 of 10 stops

J

jub jub

Mine does it too. It's more noticeable when the engine and trans are up to operating temperature. It's not so much of a "clunk" but, more like a surge just before you come to a complete stop. Is that what you guys are describing?

NWRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine has been doing this also, maybe 3 out of ten stops since day one. Also, I get a surge at first start-up after sitting a while when putting it in Drive. If I don't have the Parking Brake on and my foot firmly planted of the brake pedal, it feels like it's going to launch! Possibly unrelated, but I haven't had a chance to take it in yet. Oh yeah, 2014 5.7, 8-speed...1500 miles.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does it too. It's more noticeable when the engine and trans are up to operating temperature. It's not so much of a "clunk" but, more like a surge just before you come to a complete stop. Is that what you guys are describing?

yeah i guess a surge is a better way to describe what i feel. it sometimes makes a clunk sound too. seems to only happen when it down shifts to 1st.

Mine has been doing this also, maybe 3 out of ten stops since day one. Also, I get a surge at first start-up after sitting a while when putting it in Drive. If I don't have the Parking Brake on and my foot firmly planted of the brake pedal, it feels like it's going to launch! Possibly unrelated, but I haven't had a chance to take it in yet. Oh yeah, 2014 5.7, 8-speed...1500 miles.

if the engine doesn't warm up enough the first shift into gear will make her launch a bit

Last edited:

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Definitely a surge and the same in that when it's cold, it doesn't do it. But when up to operating temp then it happens a lot. And yes, seems to be like a downshift from 2nd to 1st. But when I use it in manual mode with the +/- buttons on the steering wheel, then it doesn't do it provided I only set the tranny to 7 for the max high gear.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for reading this late, my buddy (he's also on this forum) got his '14 SXT 3.6 8speed about a month ago. 600km were on it. Had the 2-1 downshift 'clunk' going on. I drove it and it waa noticeable for sure. He had it for 2 days and took it back to the dealer, they agreed it wasn't right. Long story short, they had it 10 days and replaced the transmission, of coarse under warranty. Truck drives great now, no problems.
Now, hopefully this can possibly help some members on here, the service guy at the dealership said it is somewhat common, that 1 in 10 trucks with the 8 will have it. Chrysler will obviously scale that back as they perfect the 8 speed transmissions more.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for reading this late, my buddy (he's also on this forum) got his '14 SXT 3.6 8speed about a month ago. 600km were on it. Had the 2-1 downshift 'clunk' going on. I drove it and it waa noticeable for sure. He had it for 2 days and took it back to the dealer, they agreed it wasn't right. Long story short, they had it 10 days and replaced the transmission, of coarse under warranty. Truck drives great now, no problems.
Now, hopefully this can possibly help some members on here, the service guy at the dealership said it is somewhat common, that 1 in 10 trucks with the 8 will have it. Chrysler will obviously scale that back as they perfect the 8 speed transmissions more.

did his do it all the time or just occasionally?

i'll be going to the dealer for my first oil change in 2 weeks and plan to ask about it

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I've got a lifetime Mopar warranty on it so I'm not concerned...just wanted to ensure it was a problem and not simply a normal action of the tranny. I used to have a Duramax with the Allison in the early 2000's, and it was a clunky shifter but was normal for the Allison. I've got an appointment to take my Longhorn in to have them check the tranny. Appreciate the info.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2 days he initially owned it it started out frequently but not all the time. But as ge drive it more (new truck so doing the excited honeymoon driving) it became constantly. He took it back to the dealership cause we both agreed it wasn't right and needed to be looked at.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is just my thinking here, but I would demand a new transmission myself if faced with the same issues. I read another thread on this board where a guy had his dealership say they were going to rebuild/repair his trans...... on a new truck!!!??? wtf???? You buy a new truck and get a "rebuilt" trans..... no f'n way, give the new truck a new trans that works right to go with it.
Just my opinion here, I feel when people spend good money they do it for good reason. Don't fix the problem, eliminate it all together.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2 days he initially owned it it started out frequently but not all the time. But as ge drive it more (new truck so doing the excited honeymoon driving) it became constantly. He took it back to the dealership cause we both agreed it wasn't right and needed to be looked at.

ah so much worse then. with mine is almost more like it's shifting to 1st a tad to early and you feel it a bit when coming to a stop

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'm starting to wonder if it might be MDS deactivating. the low gears on the 8 speed combined what the power boost when the other 4 cylinders suddenly return might give it that surge or clunk

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I don't know what it is but was told by the Service Manager that it would be at least 10 days and up to 14 that they would have the truck. I asked for a loaner and he said it wasn't possible and that I would need to rent a car from Enterprise who is "conveniently" next door. He said Chrysler does not cover alternate transportation when a problem develops. Hmmm, makes me reconsider my purchase...at least the local Chevy dealer provides loaners if the truck is out of commission more than three days.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Dealer called me today and informed me Chrysler just released a new bulletin in which they will now pay for up to 10 days of rental car for those with 8-speed automatic problems provided they can trace the issue to the tranny and it wasn't abuse. Mine has been stock from day one thus I'm not worried but what I found interesting is now they are out of rental cars until next Wednesday. When asked if this means they've had a rush of 8-speed customers, he stated they've been slammed since the bulletin came out two days ago. This doesn't bode well for the 8-speed thus I hope they solve the problem as this could be spendy for Chrysler.