ABS, ESP/BAS, Service 4WD, and Traction Control lights coming on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJ_FLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have some really unusual behavior in my 2010 Ram (Laramie, Crew, 5.7, 4WD). For a week or so, every once in a while The ABS, ESP/BAS, Service 4WD, and Traction Control lights come on. I also get a message that the Parking Assist system is off when this happens. Occasionally, this is accompanied by the ABS system pulsing the brakes even though I am not in need of its assistance. One time, the speedometer bounced up and down about 5-10 MPH either side of my actual speed. I have also noticed that when these lights come on, my Cruise Control turns off if it was on.

Most times, the lights go off after a few minutes, but occasionally they will stay on until I turn the truck off. The driveability of the truck doesn't seem to be affected, but it sure is disconcerting to have all these lights on.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JJ

OP
OP
J

JJ_FLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after I made the original post, I read about an experience a Dodge Caravan owner had where he was getting the same lights (minus the Service 4WD) under the same circumstances and it turned out that he was low on power steering fluid. Filling the power steering fluid supposedly fixed his issue.

I thought that was weird, but figured that it couldn't hurt to check. My power steering fluid was fine, BUT after removing and re-installing the cap on the reservoir, I did not experience the behavior at all on my next trip (27 miles). This was odd, because I had not gone more than 5 miles without all these lights coming on in at least a week and a half. The next day, I made it 27 miles and the lights came on one time. Unfortunately, on the third trip, the behavior returned to the previous state. Removing, cleaning, and re-installing the cap did not change the behavior this time.

I have been a systems analyst for a very long time, and I have a really hard time dismissing the connection to the power steering fluid, but it doesn't make sense either.

Hopefully this new information will tickle that spot where the answer is in someone's brain.

Thanks!
JJ

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
Well, I appear to be having a very similar issue. Rather than re post I'll just bump this one in hopes that someone will chime in.

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

JJ_FLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It turned out that it was a bad ABS Speed Sensor on one of my rear wheels. I am not positive, but I think it was a little over $100 to fix that.

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
It turned out that it was a bad ABS Speed Sensor on one of my rear wheels. I am not positive, but I think it was a little over $100 to fix that.

Ditto. Same issue and the warranty covered it.

Cheers!

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is doing the same thing. Have u had anymore issues?

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All my lights are on when I turn the ignition on and never go out. Is there anyway I can pull the codes?

Hunter1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having the same issues! It also disables my Airride ! But the Dealer replaced the ABS Module. And it still happens?......

hawksclaw553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
ABS and Check engine light on

For the past several weeks my abs light in the lower right side of the instrument cluster has been on. Might go out a day but comes back on. Also started up a couple of weeks ago and service 4wd light came on and stayed on for the day. Just got back after a weekend trip about 300 miles rt pulling my 5th wheel. While cruising the coast hwy without 5th wheel cruise would not engage, turned off several times and tried setting. No luck. Pulled over shut truck off waited about a minute restarted and when going tried to set the cruise. no luck. When I got to where I was going shut truck off again and restarted cruise finally started working. Had the same problem going home with 5th wheel. Had to shut truck off twice and restart before it would engage. Also had check engine light all day yesterday and ABS light. Started truck this morning all lights out and cruise working. Sounds like a loose ground or connection or maybe all this stuff is in some modual that is failing. Trying to get some feed back before I take it to the dealer. 2012 Ram 2500 Larimie 4wd mega cab.

2008dodgeram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have a 2008 dodge ram 2500 3/4 ton i have replaced all the wheel sensors, sent my abs module out said its unrepairable so i bought from ebay and the part number P55366224AN is exactly as mine but the TDMBK is different the mine will this be a problem. does it need to be reprogrammed, if so can i use my tuner that is a diablo to reprogram.

Pierrejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Same problem

What was your issue? I have same problem on my 2011

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Light issue

I have also been having the same problem, I get the abs light, service 4wd light, and traction control light coming on in my 2012 1500 It originally started when I removed my y pipe and I unhooked all the sensors, I have sense gone through and checked all the connections and their fine but the lights only come on from time to time. Worst part is no cruise control.

Please if anybody has any info on this issue feel free to share, thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Engine
Disconnect 4wd actuator from it's connector, clean the connector and blow it with air, the wheel speed sensor is connected with the actuator, so if your rear wheel spin and the 4WD is on 4auto it will engage the 4wd. I did it and worked. If it is not then it wont cost you anything. It on the back of the passenger front brake. Good luck and tell us if its works

RAM 1500 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Description: ESP/BAS, SVC/4WD, ABS and Traction Control lights all came on at once. Diagnostic codes didn't reaveal anything but a vague reference to the ABS Control module receiving invalid data.

Dealership ran diagnostics and determined it may be a faulty TIPM ($800+). Then after replacing it they may need a couple more hours to trace a faulty module.

I decided to research and try to repair myself. Started with a visual inspection of the rear ABS sensors ($25ea.) and found a broken wire. Rather than replacing the wire harness ($200) I soldered the wire back into the connector. After a short drive to recalibrate the ECU ($6,000), each of the four lights went out. Problem solved.

If the mechanic actually looked at the rear ABS they would have found the issue. Before relying on a mechanic who'd much rather replace module after module until the problem is solved, try looking at the wires to the various connectors involved. Seems a lot of people experience this issue. Hopefully you can avoid using a mechanic.

IMG_20180922_104418022.jpg

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently showing service 4x4, esp/bas, traction control....4x4 wont turn on or even show on the dash....Did any of you have an issue with the 4x4 dash lights not coming on or engaging when turning it on? im assuming this is a symptom of the abs wheel speed sensor thats out, plug was destroyed and wires are bare lol waiting on the part currently, no one has any in stock....like to hear from you all of your experience