activating DRLs in a USA built Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So if this is correct I could add aftermarket lights behind the grill or to the bumper and make it legal??? great news, but I will try and get the dealership to make the proper DRLs function as that was part of the purchase agreement.

They have to be activated automatically when truck is turned on. Not off a switch.
Some mechanics might pass a car either way. But could loose there license if caught.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Good to know and thanks for the info. Where are you in Moncton? I'm from Steeves Mountain. The Old Trans Canada.

WhiteSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
99% sure you can ENABLE them via the WiTech scantool. (starscan isnt used anymore it only supported up to 2009) Contact your dealer, tell them to connect the scan tool and it should be under customer preferences if I remember correctly.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can be done. I asked at my dealer about it a couple of weeks back out of curiosity. Mainly because this was brought up in another forum and the manual states to contact the dealer. They said they have already done it in the '13 up rams for some folks around here that want the feature. Mainly for the ones that live rurally.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
And here it is:

Not only has my dealership confirmed it CANNOT be done, the engineers from Ram have also confirmed it CANNOT be done on a US Retail market Built Ram, Without replacement of the harness because there are no wires in the vehicles harness for the DRL system. A different wiring harness is intalled in all Canadian Market and US Fleet Market vehicles, than the harness installed in a US retail market built vehicle. Dodge has gone ahead and ordered me a fleet vehicle with DRLs which will be relabled as a retail vehicle once it arrives here. The new truck was ordered just last week and will be 6-8 weeks before it is built and delivered, similar to the last one without DRLs. Thank everyone for their assistance and I will post many pics of the new truck once it arrives.:waytogo:

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Licensed mechanic said for NB vehicle inspection the vehicle will fail if "when the vehicle is started the headlights do not automatically come on" this could be aftermarket ones in the lower bumper, behind the grill etc that come on, but there must be a working set of headlights "DRL" that come on.
No matter what the age of the vehicle.

My 2010 Jeep Wrangler, the drl's don't come on until the vehicle is put in gear... I guess the mechanic isn't passing any wranglers out there.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2010 Jeep Wrangler, the drl's don't come on until the vehicle is put in gear... I guess the mechanic isn't passing any wranglers out there.

Once I gear would pass. As your required to have them on while driving.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Sorry I cannot help with this issue.

But I travel a good bit into Canada and who ever thinks DRL'S improve safety
SUCK!!!

You Canucks think in low visibility days I am good my DRLs are on you never turn on your DAMN headlights to turn on tail lights.

In snow,rain.fog or low visibility days not many Canucks remember to turn on DAMN headlights/taillights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have come close a few times to running into the back of CANUCK'S @ QEW speeds, and it the same applies here in the USA!!!

Here in South Carolina if your wipers are on you must turn on your head lights!!!

Sorry not trying to cause international up rising just stating facts! HAHA

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I cannot help with this issue.

But I travel a good bit into Canada and who ever thinks DRL'S improve safety
SUCK!!!

You Canucks think in low visibility days I am good my DRLs are on you never turn on your DAMN headlights to turn on tail lights.

In snow,rain.fog or low visibility days not many Canucks remember to turn on DAMN headlights/taillights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have come close a few times to running into the back of CANUCK'S @ QEW speeds, and it the same applies here in the USA!!!

Here in South Carolina if your wipers are on you must turn on your head lights!!!

Sorry not trying to cause international up rising just stating facts! HAHA

The only facts I can read from this post is:

1) You don't see very well and require artificial lighting to see during daylight.
2) You have a hard time driving properly in Canada.
3) I pray you are never behind me while I am driving.

Lmao get your eyes checked son.

Last edited:

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Razzaa

You sir born on a mountain,raised in a cave do not have very good reading comprehension!! JUST KIDDING:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I travel in BC as well, watch out for crazy blind Americans! :lol::lol:

The entire point of my post TAIL LIGHTS are not on in low vis conditions when they need to be because of DRL's!!!

Regardless of country this is a problem!!

Last edited:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

lol

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Razzaa

That pertty funny!!

But some reading is required before you make some more remarks that make you look even more stupid if that's possible. HAHA

Ya I know opinions are like butt holes everyone has one! haha

I can take a joke no worries here.

Why a Cars Daytime Running Lights are Unsafe and should be Eliminated by Louis Albornoz | Auto Hub 360

Daytime Running Lights: The Arguments

Pros and Cons of Daytime Running Lights

Daytime Running Lights: No Statistically Significant Effect On Safety

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Razzaa

That pertty funny!!

But some reading is required before you make some more remarks that make you look even more stupid if that's possible. HAHA

Ya I know opinions are like butt holes everyone has one! haha

I can take a joke no worries here.

Why a Cars Daytime Running Lights are Unsafe and should be Eliminated by Louis Albornoz | Auto Hub 360

Daytime Running Lights: The Arguments

Pros and Cons of Daytime Running Lights

Daytime Running Lights: No Statistically Significant Effect On Safety

Now now. No reason to call me stupid just because I don't agree with you. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Your opinion is just that...it does not make you a superior intelligent being lmao. If not agreeing with one another makes us stupid then we are all a bunch of walking idiots. I have no problem having a discussion about the topic but once it turns to arrogance or name calling I can't be bothered. :eek:

This has gotten off topic anyway. The OP wasn't asking for a discussion on DRL or our opinions of its usefulness. ......or lack thereof.

Last edited:

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
The DRL's should be just a code away. I know some dealers that were charging $50 to $100 to turn them on in the Challenger forum.

The Park lights can and are used for DRL's. It doesn't have to be head lights.

My 95 Firebird used just the signal lights. (Pop up headlights). Older Corvettes. The new Rams with the projector head light option use the signal lights as DRL's. Toyota Tundras same thing. My 2010 SRT uses the signal lights as DRL's.

New GM's use the LED's under the headlight as DRL's. The New 300's/ Cherokees use the LED's. Whomever thinks it's just headlights is sadly mistaken.

I bought a US 07 H2 Hummer and when I had the out of Province inspection, they disabled my head light switch to turn them off and enabled the driving lights in the bumper to come on when it was in gear. It was missed on the out of country inspection when they changed the speedo.

I'm sure the OP will not have any problems getting some sort or DRL's on his truck. It wouldn't be the first one to come into Canada.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
WOW that did escalate quickly LOL!

The problem with the RAM is that there is no electrical wiring installed in a US built RAM for DRLs. It could be added at an extra cost to me, but you tell me would you let anyone cut into the wiring harness of your brand new truck??? Seems to me a problem waiting to happen. They also offered to replace the harness in my brand new truck, again imagine the wiring issues you could have for the life of the truck. no thanks. They have now ordered me a 2014 RAM off the Fleet line which comes with factory DRLs installed. I'm happy, the DMV (registratioin) in Canada is happy and Chrysler Canada is happy. Just can't beleive that its cost effective for Chrysler to make three different wire harnesses for the same truck- 1 for USA trucks, 1 for US fleet trucks and 1 for trucks headed to Canada. Anyway with all this behind me WHEN IS MY NEW TRUCK GONNA BE HERE!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!! LOL!

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, I understand the issue you face having imported cars and trucks from the US myself.
Fact is you cannot register it here without it.
However for whatever it's worth, my 2010 RAM2500 that was built for the US market and originated in AZ has daytime running lights which I can disable with my H&S tuner.
I bought the truck locally here from a guy who imported it from TX and I had my local Dodge dealer here in Wpg print me the build sheet. So I know it has the US specs.
But that's a 2010.

As far as Daytime running lights making Canadian vehicles harder to see...well that just blows my freakin mind :bowroflwerd6:
And did I read the links to the argument? I couldn't be bothered to waste my time.
Do I think the taillights should be on as well? Why not.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I agree the DRLs argument of making it harder to see blows my mind as well, common sense would tell you light would stand out better and nothing but hey just my opinion.

The new RAM ordered by Dodge here will have DRLs, so all will be well jsut as soon as it arrives. :rockit:

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
I agree. When I ride down in the states on my bike, I have to take a second look.

I'm so used to seeing the DRL's, when they're not on, I think the truck or car coming down the curb lane is parked when turning right into traffic.

Tail lights? I prefer the way they are now. Off. Hate changing bulbs. More so my car than my truck. PITA.

arjan

Reaction score
The code says the drls should be on when the engine is running.

I know for a fact that on the early 90s 4Runners, that if you start with the parking brake engaged , the drls will stay off until you release the parking brake.

The only time you really need them is to pass inspection, I've driven with them disabled for years without any hassle. A lot of police cars don't have them either.