activating DRLs in a USA built Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently took in my 2012 Sport Crew and upgraded to a new 2018 Night Crew and wanted to get my DRL's activated after reading through post.

I am in the Tampa Bay region, and all my service was through Jerry Ulm CJDR for the previous truck and I've never had an issue. I took it in this morning for an 0800 appointment and told the exactly what I was aiming to do, mentioned the sales code and they gave me a $99 quote. I have a set of retrofits with the Diode Dynamics switchbacks that I had my 2012 so I was excited with the thought of having a true, white LED DRL (something that would've been very hard to achieve on the older model)

Long story short, the rep comes back, says they flashed it with the new LM5 code and we were good to go. I pay and leave, and fire up the truck. To my dismay, my LEDs weren't burning bright but in fact my projector lenses were dimly lit instead. Sure enough, they are true DRL's; they run while the vehicle is drive without any other lights activated and they turn off on the respective side when the turn signal is activated.

Is this an error on the dealer's side? Did they use the wrong sales code? Am I stuck with this version of the DRL's?

I love my new truck and I was really excited to have true DRL's finally. Any suggestions would be great or if anyone has ran into the issue (I haven't read anything like this up to this point).

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like they did the wrong code

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently took in my 2012 Sport Crew and upgraded to a new 2018 Night Crew and wanted to get my DRL's activated after reading through post.

View attachment 129765

I am in the Tampa Bay region, and all my service was through Jerry Ulm CJDR for the previous truck and I've never had an issue. I took it in this morning for an 0800 appointment and told the exactly what I was aiming to do, mentioned the sales code and they gave me a $99 quote. I have a set of retrofits with the Diode Dynamics switchbacks that I had my 2012 so I was excited with the thought of having a true, white LED DRL (something that would've been very hard to achieve on the older model)

Long story short, the rep comes back, says they flashed it with the new LM5 code and we were good to go. I pay and leave, and fire up the truck. To my dismay, my LEDs weren't burning bright but in fact my projector lenses were dimly lit instead. Sure enough, they are true DRL's; they run while the vehicle is drive without any other lights activated and they turn off on the respective side when the turn signal is activated.

Is this an error on the dealer's side? Did they use the wrong sales code? Am I stuck with this version of the DRL's?

I love my new truck and I was really excited to have true DRL's finally. Any suggestions would be great or if anyone has ran into the issue (I haven't read anything like this up to this point).

Thanks in advance!

Yep they most certainly put in the wrong code. I just had the DRLs activated on my 2018 Ram sport from the Winter Haven Dodge (about an hour east of Tampa). I'd go back and just let your service guy know he must of put the wrong code in. It can most certainly be done on 2018 trucks.

NightReaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Night Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll be taking it back to my service adviser in the morning. Since they were able to the wrong code I don't think it'll be an issue to flash the right one...I just hope I don't have to pay again!

NightReaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Night Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: The dealer that did my flash to the dim low-beams pretty much talked to me like I was the idiot, and tried to explain that the "dim low beam option is the only open module" for the DRL and thus they enabled it. I've never read that anywhere around here about open modules and what not.

The dealer I purchased from (not the same as above) doesn't have any techs that are familiar with it.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what did you do?

I’m glad I avoided all that dealer frustration.

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am sure this has been answered here before, but I don’t see it.

If you have the dealer turn on DRL with the LM5 sales code, will you now have a setting in the radio to turn then off/on?

I really want them on most of the time, but would like to turn them off in some situations.

Sent from my iPad

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got them turned on today!! Wooohooo!!

Let's recap

Dealership 1
Charge $60 (refunded for not performing service)
Told them LM5 they did LM1. I explained it to them and they still said that there is nothing they could do, that they would call Chrysler tomorrow (today - by date). Got a call from Dealership 1 today saying that it is only for 2013 2500/3500 etc... I said thanks goodbye.

Dealership 2 - Steve White Motors Hickory, NC - Service department is top notch!
Told guy Dealership 1 story. He turned off LM1, turned on LM5, $26 and 20 minutees later I and was on my.

EDITED FOR RUN-ON SENTENCE! :goofy:

Was dealer #1 in Cornelius? I don’t want to waste my time starting there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn't even aware it was legal to sell new vehicles in the US without DRLs. Every new car/truck I see has them.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: The dealer that did my flash to the dim low-beams pretty much talked to me like I was the idiot, and tried to explain that the "dim low beam option is the only open module" for the DRL and thus they enabled it. I've never read that anywhere around here about open modules and what not.

The dealer I purchased from (not the same as above) doesn't have any techs that are familiar with it.
your service tech is an idiot. If I haven't already posted it on this thread - contact the Winter Haven Dodge (Florida) and speak with Mike from service. He has done 50-60 Rams and activated the amber DRLs...have him speak with your service guy and hopefully he will tell your service guy that he's a moron lol.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sure this has been answered here before, but I don’t see it.

If you have the dealer turn on DRL with the LM5 sales code, will you now have a setting in the radio to turn then off/on?

I really want them on most of the time, but would like to turn them off in some situations.

Sent from my iPad

No you cannot turn them on and off

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Was dealer #1 in Cornelius? I don’t want to waste my time starting there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

No. Lake Norman is top notch in my opinion, but too far for me to go for something like this. I do however buy most of my new CJDR from them. 5 at the moment :)

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can turn them on and off with a tuner. My BullyDog tuner can do it on-the-fly.

You could wire up a switch and relay too, anything’s possible. That said I believe he was asking if the dealer activated them would they be able to turn on and off via the 8.4 touch screen menus. I don't think he has a bulllydog

Last edited:

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No. Lake Norman is top notch in my opinion, but too far for me to go for something like this. I do however buy most of my new CJDR from them. 5 at the moment :)

Thanks! I just bought a 2018 from them, other than an oil change I don’t have any experience with the service dept.

Sent from my iPad

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watching the video from OBDGenie it also looks like you can toggle them off and on via the 8.4 radio interface.