Adding another Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C-Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Engine
I have a key fob left over from my 2008 sxt magnum. It's the same type of fob for my 2012. It even fits and turns until it says invalid key. Looked around online and found people programming the fob themselves instead of taking it to the dealer. I tried the steps but nothing worked. Was just wondering if there was a different way of doing it for the 4th gens. Any if anyone have had more then two keys. Any feedback would help. My last resort would be to sell the key online to someone with a magnum. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
C

C-Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Engine
no it wouldn't give me instructions on how to change it. Just what type of key it is.

I know in the 2006 rams if you have the original two key fobs. You get in, lock the doors, you put one key fob in the ignition and turn it to the on position, then with the second fob, hold the unlock button for 4-10 seconds, then while still holding the unlock button, press the panic button and releasing the unlock and the panic button at the same time.

Then all you do is hit any button on any addition key fob and it will flash that fob with the vehicle and you can use it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but i wanna check here before i get rid of it.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Why don't you post up the part number, and we can see if it matches any of our keys!

As an example, my truck came stock with remote start, so I have a 4-button key, p/n 56046639AA.

Somebody else on here probably has the three button key, and can list their part number. If none of them are the same as your part number you may just have to go to the dealer, and see of they can program it, but if someone does have the same number you know it will work first.

OP
OP
C

C-Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Engine
Why don't you post up the part number, and we can see if it matches any of our keys!

As an example, my truck came stock with remote start, so I have a 4-button key, p/n 56046639AA.

Somebody else on here probably has the three button key, and can list their part number. If none of them are the same as your part number you may just have to go to the dealer, and see of they can program it, but if someone does have the same number you know it will work first.

Yeah I figured cause the key looks the same and turned while it was in the ignition it was the same process for the 2006 to re-program the key yourself. But I don't need another key that bad to where I have to goto the dealer and get one flashed or to even buy one for that matter. Just thought cause I had an extra one it wouldn't hurt trying to see if I can use it. Thanks anyways guys!

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
In the process of trying to get a thing-o worked out with my two trucks and some keys. The dealer, and the manual claim that once a key is programmed, it cannot be re-programmed to another vehicle... seems dumb.