Airbag wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoeoperator320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2012 RAM 1500 bighorn that was hit in the front corner. The airbags went off. Im working on replacing the dash/passenger side airbag however the connectors for the airbags melted when they went off. Apparently this is common. My question is can I splice in new plugs or does the whole harness need to be replaced. I've read both opinions online. I have some good plugs on another partial harness I could soldier in but I read that it will effect the circuit resistance and cause problems. Anyone have experience dealing with this?IMG_20160709_161103.jpg

T-Revs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heya, during my time at the dealer I think you can get pigtails for certain connectors. BUT, inspect the wires first if they are in good condition and only the connector is damaged, if so, get a pigtail and swap plastic and you should be good to go. If that is not an option, For me I would replace the harness.

OP
OP
H

Hoeoperator320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heya, during my time at the dealer I think you can get pigtails for certain connectors. BUT, inspect the wires first if they are in good condition and only the connector is damaged, if so, get a pigtail and swap plastic and you should be good to go. If that is not an option, For me I would replace the harness.
Thanks for the reply, I actually have some good plugs off another partial harness but I'm just worried that if i splice them in then I'll be adding more resistance to the circuit. Sounds like the airbag system is pretty sensitive. I was able to find info about chevy and ford but not much about the ram. Doesn't seem like too many people have delt with it. Might have to head down to the dealership and see how much a new harness will set me back. Doesn't look cheap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963