another howling noise thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Alright guys just thought I would get some insite I just picked up a 2010 ram 1500 2we it has148k on the clock. Yesterday I was cruising a 2 lane highway and herd a howling. It starts in real light at 52mph and ramps up at 55 is the loudest and tapers back off at 58. I'm thinking rear diff because when you let off the gas it it goes away. I can hold stedy at 55 and down shift it and it the same pitch doesn't go away. But left off the pedal and it goes away press it and it comes right back. It truefully sounds like it's coming from the front but I'm sure it's ecoing around in the cab.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had that too on my 07 and heard it on my brother in law's '10. at exact the same speed.
it's from the rear differential. if it's not getting worse, seems like it's normal.
Other than that- was there not a recall for the rear axle? I would check if that was done and if, what exactly- if it was just checked or if it was fixed.

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had that too on my 07 and heard it on my brother in law's '10. at exact the same speed.
it's from the rear differential. if it's not getting worse, seems like it's normal.
Other than that- was there not a recall for the rear axle? I would check if that was done and if, what exactly- if it was just checked or if it was fixed.

I am sure it has been done by now, pulling the diff cover and inspecting might tell you what you need to know. I know at 79k miles I was told my gears have wear on them but I am not replacing them at this point.

Noise: Howl while decelerating (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Loose pinion bearing preload

Noise: Howl with whir or rumble while accelerating at any speed (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Worn rear pinion bearing or worn gear set

Noise: Howl without whir or rumble while accelerating at any speed (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Worn gear set due to lack of lubrication or overloading

Noise: Howling while accelerating over a small speed range (gears previously quiet)

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I am sure it has been done by now, pulling the diff cover and inspecting might tell you what you need to know. I know at 79k miles I was told my gears have wear on them but I am not replacing them at this point.

Noise: Howl while decelerating (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Loose pinion bearing preload

Noise: Howl with whir or rumble while accelerating at any speed (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Worn rear pinion bearing or worn gear set

Noise: Howl without whir or rumble while accelerating at any speed (gears previously quiet)

Noise: Howling while accelerating over a small speed range (gears previously quiet)

The bottom one sounds like it I will have to pull the diff cover and see I'm planning a trans service and diff fluid swap this weekend just wanted to get some advice to gauge the best area to start looking.

I checked no open recalls on the 10 and the previous owner said the truck escaped all the recalls. But it might be time for a 3.92 upgrade.

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bottom one sounds like it I will have to pull the diff cover and see I'm planning a trans service and diff fluid swap this weekend just wanted to get some advice to gauge the best area to start looking.

I checked no open recalls on the 10 and the previous owner said the truck escaped all the recalls. But it might be time for a 3.92 upgrade.

Unfortunately I was told the same by Chrysler. All recalls were done so no help on any more rear end issues. I am getting all rear end bearings replaced today.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Unfortunately I was told the same by Chrysler. All recalls were done so no help on any more rear end issues. I am getting all rear end bearings replaced today.

My neighbour is a apprentice tech and does transmissions and axles we ran the vin last night and found the rear pinion nut recall had been completed. He's taking the vin in today to see when it was done and to see if I have any grounds for bad recall work. He should be able to find out what was done, if it was just the retainer or a full rebuild.