ASE test question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxoutput

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 4x4 quad cab Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can someone explain why "A" is the right answer :wtf:
i think that if that wire was (short to ground) it would work all the time?

View attachment 12188

think too much study turned my brain to mush, sorry if this in in wrong section.

Attachments

• Capture98.jpg
    Capture98.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 45

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Nothing wrong with the ground. If it had a short to the ground, then it would not work at all, even with the jumper wire. The fault is in the relay switch because bypassing it with a jumper wire creates a result; showing that it is the weak link in the connection. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A short to ground between the two points mentioned would produce nothing because the horn switch would essentially be grounded at both ends. Tech A is correct because we know jumping 30 and 87 works so that eliminates the whole rest of the circuit as the problem area. When the horn switch is pressed, it completes the circuit to ground which energizes the horn relay which in turn closes the switch between 30 and 87 which allows current to flow through to the horns. If the relay never energizes, the switch between 30 and 87 would never close and current wouldnt flow through, unless jumped.

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
Agreed, by using a jumper you are replacing the action of the solenoid. Although you are verifying the path from power to load, the horn switch could still be faulty. While "A" is not 100% correct, given the choice, it is the best.
If 86 were shorted to gnd the horn would be on constant (if the relay was good).
If 85 were shorted to gnd the CB would pop and jumpering would not work.
If 87 were shorted to gnd the CB would pop when the horn button was pressed or when 30 and 87 where jumped.

Zach

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Seems they have ya covered. Welcome to the forum.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Smart guys I want to see more of these.

$miley

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
can someone explain why "A" is the right answer :wtf:
i think that if that wire was (short to ground) it would work all the time?

View attachment 12188

think too much study turned my brain to mush, sorry if this in in wrong section.
System ground already exists for all components. A ground after the relay would short and never actuate the horns. Failure of the relay to close the path for current is what is occuring--and why jumping the relay contacts causes the horn to sound. :Jedi:

OP
OP
M

maxoutput

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 4x4 quad cab Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the greeting,, thanks for the replies. After getting some sleep i looked at this and said to myself what am i stupid. Its all in the way they word the question. I have been a fleet mechanic for 20 years, now laid off, and looking for a job at my age it is tough.
So i have been trying to cram A-1 - A-9... T-1 - T-8 so i can get this job. I have another
question that i keeps buggin me if you would like to try! this time i wont put what the answer is. Found a cool ad for dodge ram...still trying to figure out how to post it.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Post up the question lol, it sounds fun!!

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at the pic and saw the horn grounded so if you short the power wire to ground you get double ground.
Post is up. There are a lot of sleuths on here.

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
I'm thinking it should show about a .2v drop. so.... C.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Okay. Voltage meter shows postive reading so you have an energized circuit :let's assume the engine is running and alternator is providing operating current.
The multimeter is not connected to the ignition circuit, so we can eliminate that. Meter is also not reading regulator output, only voltage between alternator and battery, and its not reading across the circuit, only between alternator and battery--it is reading charging voltage (A).
:hmm: Standying by for return fire........ :shocked:

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
Gotta remember, the battery is just another form of a capacitor, as you apply charge to a capacitor across a voltmeter the voltage starts at full applied V then drops to or near 0 when the cap is full. It’s the same concept here, you’re just looking for leaks.