Best LSD for my 2012 2WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Also, which Limited Slip should i use? (Hyuk, Hyuk!)

I know a lot of guys are upgrading to 4.56 gears and whatnot, wht does that do to your mileage? obviously it goes down, but how much?

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I imagine Mopar does, considering that there were several ratios offered as stock options.

More concerned about WHAT those gears do, rather than availability. I assume after a few months there will be some aftermarket gears, just like we are waiting on a tuner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IGarza11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I imagine Mopar does, considering that there were several ratios offered as stock options.

More concerned about WHAT those gears do, rather than availability. I assume after a few months there will be some aftermarket gears, just like we are waiting on a tuner.

Mopar has up to 4.10 for the ZF axles and thats from the R/T. Anything above that your out of luck. A change of gear ratio can lower your mileage what it does is gives better acceleration and can highten your RPM's causing more gas to be burnt. Alot of people will get a lift and 35s+ and go from a 3.55 to 4.10, or 4.56 to compensate for the loss of power from the added weight which with the new hemis and the "ECO" may cause a save in mileage.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Actually it is possible to get better mileage with lower gears, it is really dependent on a lot of variables, primarily how quickly you like to drive while "cruising," and how close your engine is to running at optimum efficiency in terms of rpm's You can actually get better gas mileage because your truck doesn't have to pump as much fuel/run as much advance/as aggressive of a cam profile since it doesn't need to make as much power to keep you going.

I have the 3.92 gears, and I average between 19, and 20 mpg on the highway at 70mph. Stock tires (275 70 17), but I don't think I would have any power issues with a 285 70 17.

Also, generally you don't swap to those types of gear ratios to compensate for the weight so much as the larger diameter of the tire, and how it takes more torque to turn it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
thanks! That answers my question about gearing.

So what do I do about getting a limited slip for my ride?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You are lucky in a way, since you only have to upgrade one axle lol

I don't know anything about where to get them from, but I know the 3.92 comes in limited slip form as opposed to open, and I would assume the 4.10 does too since it is on the R/T.

You probably have to order the parts from Chrysler for now, but if you are willing to wait maybe some other options will open up. Assuming of course you will do the work yourself lol.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
right now a lot of new dodge owners are going through this. Big let down to want to upgrade to find that you can't do gears or tuners

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll probably let a more experienced mech do the work...but thanks!

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best bet would be order the factory lsd from mopar

You are lucky in a way, since you only have to upgrade one axle lol

I don't know anything about where to get them from, but I know the 3.92 comes in limited slip form as opposed to open, and I would assume the 4.10 does too since it is on the R/T.

You probably have to order the parts from Chrysler for now, but if you are willing to wait maybe some other options will open up. Assuming of course you will do the work yourself lol.

3.92 is available as open or limited slip. Depends if you or the dealer selected the limited slip option. The R/T 4.10 are the only ones that are guaranteed to be limited slip

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The couple that I found were over $2500! Guess I'll be waiting for a bit. Most likely till aftermarket arrives. Aftermarket tends to be higher quality anyway, doesn't it?

S

scotts2012ram

That's crazy high. I most have got luck mine has the factory lsd with the 355s

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to find a wrecked truck and get the rearend from that. Even a 2009-2010 rear end will bolt right up

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Me too, and I love it, minus the fact that it is still geared too high for me to turn both tires on dry pavement... lol, oh well, guess that means I better do some upgrades.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From everything ive seen 3.92 sounds like a decent compromise between performance and mileage...for now