Blue Def and Particulate Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RV Trax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I purchased a new 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually diesel in November. It has been trouble free untill it approached 12,000 miles. Check engine light on and brought to dealer. Said the Particulate filter (Soot Cooker) had to ber replaced. Left me stranded in Jacksonville for 5 days. Chrysler Customer care said the would allow a 35 dollar a day rental. (Pay for a Yugo) and i have a $70,000 truck. That is what you call Customer care. Dealer eliminated a pressure sensor and a ammonia sensor and reflashed the computer. Got 633 miles out of a tank on 24 Gals of fuel and the Blue Def gauge did not move. 26 plus miles per gallon was unbelievable including pulling a trailer for 200 of those miles. Previous milage was 13 MPG pulling a12,000 Lb. trailer around town and 21 MPG unloaded highway with 3.73 Gears. That was was week and a half ago. Blue DEF has stayed on full for 864 miles. Back in Panama City. Sitting at a traffic light and DEF gauge starts going down immediately to a 1/4 level. Went two blocks and the level went to empty and the low soot cooker light came on. Shut off and now it is in the limp mode. Poured in 2.5 gals of def. In less than 5 minutes it dropped back to empty. No visible signs of leakage. Towing to the dealer tomorrow morning. Hope Chrysler customer care steps up to supply me with truck for my business. Cummins engine runs great but the emissions seem gterrible. Starting to miss my 7.3 Ford with over 300,000 trouble free miles Will let you know what they find.:crazy:

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What was the reason for the DPF needing to be replaced? Bad sensors that caused it to get too full or something?

Even if the DEF injector were stuck wide open I doubt it would be able to spew out that much in 5 minutes. Did you put it in the green hole or the blue hole?

Nice plug for Ford there. If all you needed was ~240hp and a little over 400 ft/lb of torque you could have probably got by with the 6.4L.

Just giving you a hard time. Hope you get taken care of.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sucks you are going through this.

hope you didn't pay $70K for your truck! :0)

The 7.3 is a troublesome motor.. sounds like you treat your stuff good.

UVCH issues, lift pump, ICP,IDM, IPR, Cam sensor, fuel heater etc... I could go on.. haha

OP
OP
R

RV Trax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Blue DEF issues

Just got back from the Ram dealer. Had to replace the DEF pump. Apparently it causes malfunction of the DEF gauge. It is warranty, but a 12000 mile diesel should not have to spend so much time in the shop, as well as considering a rental vehicle to have a reliable commute. I ran into a person with a 2014 with 40,000 miles and has had both the DEF pump and particulate filters replaced twice. Thanks US government smog and Ram for turning the reliable Cummins into a unreliable diesel. A few days later still no movement on the DEF gauge 250 highway miles. Hope it does not happen again.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just got back from the Ram dealer. Had to replace the DEF pump. Apparently it causes malfunction of the DEF gauge. It is warranty, but a 12000 mile diesel should not have to spend so much time in the shop, as well as considering a rental vehicle to have a reliable commute. I ran into a person with a 2014 with 40,000 miles and has had both the DEF pump and particulate filters replaced twice. Thanks US government smog and Ram for turning the reliable Cummins into a unreliable diesel. A few days later still no movement on the DEF gauge 250 highway miles. Hope it does not happen again.

If it happens again and you need further assistance, don't hesitate to DM me. - Kevin T, Social Connect Team