Break Locking Differential (BLD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 2014 RAM 2500 Tradesman 4x4 Crew cab. Afterwards, I realized it did not have a anti spin rear diff, instead it has front and rear open differentials. After reading a BUNCH of different threads and sites, and getting no response from RAM, I figured I would ask here.

My truck DOES have traction control per the build sheet. So, my questions are:

1) Do ALL 2500's (or those with traction control) have the Break Locking Differentials (i.e. using the ABS to transfer torque to non-slipping tire).

2) Does the BLD work for FRONT and REAR similar to the Jeep Wranglers?

If you have had any experience with the BLD in snow, sand or mud, I would love to hear about it. I have heard that an open diff with BLD, and traction control will handle just as good (if not better) than anti-spin in snow, sand, mud. Eventually I want to get the ARB air lockers, but don't want to kill gas mileage or towing capabilities just yet.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BLD soaks up some power (turning it to heat) and is hard on brake pads. In the real tuff going you can get the pads/discs pretty hot. TC also modulates the throttle, near cutting all power if there is a lot of wheel spin (you should be able to disable this feature). In spite of its shortcomings, it works very well for day to day traction issues. Not so good on the drag strip or heavy off road use.

I don't know what they do on 2500s, however. My last one did not have BTC and was a disaster in heavy snow and steep driveways.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Traction control works for help keeping you on road and going straight. It is also integrated with the vehicle stability control so it tries to keep you from intentionally powering out of a corner.
I wouldn't say that Traction Control works as good as having a limited slip(or locker) in the rear especially when going off the pavement. Best to have both at your disposal.
Unless ARB's are some sort of light duty differential(which I highly doubt), How would they "kill" your gas milage or towing capabilities? If ARBs are under-rated for the truck, consider going with something heavier duty for the rear like True-Track, Detroit Locker, etc.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything i have read, the arb air locker is grwat for the 11.5 AAM. But, i have heard that going with heli or air locker will get worse mog then an open diff. I have had a 07 tahoe with G80 locker in it, and have loved it.

ZJMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the 11.5 GM is the same diff as the 11.5 Mopar. You can get a GM G80 posi unit and have it installed in your 11.5 Dodge. Lots of the GM guys hat ethe G80 units and will have the mopar heli unit installed in their 11.5 diffs. I'm sure you could find a good used 11.5 posi on ebay.

Max