Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Tech Info


Tech Info

Bw44-44


This is a discussion on Bw44-44 within the Tech Info forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by soldiercowboy Just to inform everyone I have a 2014 ram 2500 4x4 tradesman. I changed all my ...


Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
loveracing1988's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 3,230

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by soldiercowboy View Post
Just to inform everyone I have a 2014 ram 2500 4x4 tradesman. I changed all my fluids last week. Differentials and Transfer case and my dealership said they use manual transmission fluid 75w80 gl-4. This came from the parts manager and a mechanic technician. They said you can use ATF+4 or 75w80 gl-4 and mine is the bw47 transfer it takes a little over 2 quarts (2quarts and 8 ounces) oh and they sold it to me for $7.50 a quart. Anything else I can help with hit me up I will help if I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Yeah this thread is for a completely different transfer case.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Hootbro likes this.


Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.


__________________
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Hootbro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Age: 49
Posts: 1,984

Ram Year: 2015 2500
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by soldiercowboy View Post
Just to inform everyone I have a 2014 ram 2500 4x4 tradesman. I changed all my fluids last week. Differentials and Transfer case and my dealership said they use manual transmission fluid 75w80 gl-4. This came from the parts manager and a mechanic technician. They said you can use ATF+4 or 75w80 gl-4 and mine is the bw47 transfer it takes a little over 2 quarts (2quarts and 8 ounces) oh and they sold it to me for $7.50 a quart. Anything else I can help with hit me up I will help if I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Interesting since nothing in the owners manual recommends using anything but the BW 44-44 fluid. Could by chance you get some published tech info that your dealership used to justify going outside the OM recommendations?


__________________
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
loveracing1988's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 3,230

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
Interesting since nothing in the owners manual recommends using anything but the BW 44-44 fluid. Could by chance you get some published tech info that your dealership used to justify going outside the OM recommendations?
He doesn't have a 44-44 hence the recommendation to not run the fluid.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


__________________
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Hootbro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Age: 49
Posts: 1,984

Ram Year: 2015 2500
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
He doesn't have a 44-44 hence the recommendation to not run the fluid.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I get that, the point is the owners manual states only one transfer case fluid regardless if you have a 44-44, 44-45, 44-46 or 44-47 and that is 68089195AA "AKA" BW 44-44 fluid.

My question is still valid to him of where his dealership gets the info to use a GL-4 gear lube for his 44-47?


__________________
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
loveracing1988's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 3,230

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
I get that, the point is the owners manual states only one transfer case fluid regardless if you have a 44-44, 44-45, 44-46 or 44-47 and that is 68089195AA "AKA" BW 44-44 fluid.

My question is still valid to him of where his dealership gets the info to use a GL-4 gear lube for his 44-47?
Ohh, OK now I get it. I honestly never made it far enough to change it but I definitely wouldn't have put the 44-44 fluid in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Hootbro likes this.


__________________
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
Hemi395's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cape Cod MA
Age: 35
Posts: 1,778

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
I've never heard of a modern transfer case requiring gear oil. To my knowledge it's always an ATF or an ATF derivative


__________________
Black 2013 Bighorn Crew Cab Hemi 65RFE 3.55s 4x4
Fluids: Redline 0w30, Redline C+ in trans, Redline Gear Oil in diffs, Amsoil SS MVATF in BW44-44
Additions/Mods: Diablo Trinity w/Hemifever, BT Catch Can, Mufflex 24, Rancho QLL, Cooper Discoverer AT3s, Mag-Hytec Trans Pan, OEM Backup Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, Extang Trifecta SS, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Cabin Air Filter, Weathertech Floorliners, 35% tint, Nasta Stainless Running Boards
Hemi395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Hootbro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Age: 49
Posts: 1,984

Ram Year: 2015 2500
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Ohh, OK now I get it. I honestly never made it far enough to change it but I definitely wouldn't have put the 44-44 fluid in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
The only reason I ask is that I have a 44-47 manual shift transfer case in my Tradesman and is of interest to me where this GL-4 gear lube use comes from?

I get the 44-44 and 44-46 use a clutch pack assembly and use of a BW 44-44 fluid would be prudent. With the 44-45 and 44-47 being a manual transfer case without the clutch pack, I can in theory see the use of a GL-4 gear oil being used, but I want to find some definitive published data and not use third hand hear-say on the matter.


__________________
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
loveracing1988's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 3,230

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
The only reason I ask is that I have a 44-47 manual shift transfer case in my Tradesman and is of interest to me where this GL-4 gear lube use comes from?

I get the 44-44 and 44-46 use a clutch pack assembly and use of a BW 44-44 fluid would be prudent. With the 44-45 and 44-47 being a manual transfer case without the clutch pack, I can in theory see the use of a GL-4 gear oil being used, but I want to find some definitive published data and not use third hand hear-say on the matter.
The 44-44 is on its own. The 44-45, 44-46, and 44-47 are all the same internally. It doesn't matter how it is shifted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


__________________
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
Hootbro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Age: 49
Posts: 1,984

Ram Year: 2015 2500
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
The 44-44 is on its own. The 44-45, 44-46, and 44-47 are all the same internally. It doesn't matter how it is shifted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
You sure on the 44-46? It is the 4WD "Auto" transfer case on the HD models and just assumed it had the same clutch pack setup as the 44-44.


__________________
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
loveracing1988's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 3,230

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Default
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
You sure on the 44-46? It is the 4WD "Auto" transfer case on the HD models and just assumed it had the same clutch pack setup as the 44-44.
There is no auto transfer case in the HD trucks... It is either a shifter on the floor or a shifter on the dash, but they both has the same settings.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Hootbro likes this.


__________________
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW44-44 Transfer Case jburks Lifted 18 05-16-2016 09:24 AM

<




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum