Bw44-44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Red Line D4!
No issues!

From what I have found over the last 2 years with reading & talking to techs at my dealer. This so-called specialty fluid is only Dex III equivalent.

My only question is: How bad is this fluid stressed or beaten up during those months that the TC is not in 4WD service!

UPDATE: With the help of Hemi395 we have concluded that the so-called Special Fluid (BW44-44) is nothing but Dex III equivalent!

I Personally would use a high end synthetic ATF or a ATF +4 fluid.
These Units really do create some serious heat.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would imagine the tc fluid heats up to approx the same temp as the transmission fluid. So for the 5/6 speeds its not that bad but for the 8 speeds that nominally run around 190 that could be a problem if its Dex III which is not synthetic most likely.

I know mine was a lot warmer to the touch than I ever thought it would be after driving 15 mins in 2wd. After this is when I decided on using Amsoil MVATF as I know that will handle high heat much better than Dex III. If its that warm in 2wd imagine what it would be after doing some off roading in 4wd...