Check engine light and high oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. I got a 13 ram quad cab express back in september. I've put 6000 miles on it since with no problems except squeaky brakes. Anyways on to today. Started my truck and the cel immediately came on. Couldn't figure it out so went to drive to oreillys for a scan. While driving I noticed my oil pressure was 99 psi. I called the dealer and they told me it was the oil sending unit and I would be fine to drive it until I could get it in there (refused to give me a loaner). Also noticed my eco mode wasnt engaging. The scan at oreillys said it was the oil circuit and the other code said oil pressure too low. Anyone had this issue yet and know if it will hurt to drive it? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've said it before on here, but any electronic problem on these trucks should start with a re-boot by disconnecting the battery and also suspect a weak battery. (get it load tested and/or try charging it) before changing other hardware.

OP
OP
myates

myates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried that. No luck. The codes were P0520 and P0524

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribed. Idk what it could be, but if it was my truck and I had a code for low oil pressure I wouldn't drive it. I'd have it towed to the dealer and call them a ******* for telling you it's ok to drive it around.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If a hemi loses oil pressure you can hear the valve train from a block away.

OP
OP
myates

myates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think it has low oil pressure. The truck itself said 99 psi. That's what is making me think its the oil sending unit, with the two reading different like that. The truck is running perfect still

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it is the sending unit, but who knows without testing.

There is only one sending unit and both the 99psi and low pressure code are coming from the same computer, essentially, that receives the sending unit signal.

How could the sending unit be sending both high and low signals?

My intuition tells me it is being interpreted wrong by the computer somehow. That's why I suggested a reboot.

If you have a gauge handy you could just hook one up to the sending unit.

Although if the dealer was so fast to diagnose it as a sending unit over the phone, maybe they've seen the problem before.

SuaSponteSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Black Ram Express Q/Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had this happen to my 14'. same fault codes. Took it to auto zone just to be safe.... and they gave me the print out. Took the truck to the dealer and they got the same codes. It was either the Sending unit or the Connection. Since it was under warranty the dealer replaced both. No issues now. Spoke to the mechanic, and he said that the "Reading was bad", but the "Actual" oil pressure was still correct internally. So even if it the pressure reading was in the 90's, it was actually in the high 40's-60's/WOT. Hope that helps a little. On another note, I took the truck in, dropped it off and they had to order the sending unit and harness connector. it came in the next day (Morning), and was installed and tested by 11 AM. Had my truck 10 minutes after 11.

OP
OP
myates

myates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my dealer claims this is a common problem on the chargers. I dont see what the difference would be but anyways. I took the advice I was offered and disconnected the battery. The cel is off now and the mds is working again. My oil pressure is still reading 60-70 and idk what normal is. What's everyone else reading?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine usually reads about 55-60 on startup. Around 40 at idle once warm.

The fact that it changed after rebooting would eliminate a hardware problem in my mind.

OP
OP
myates

myates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it sounds like it is still reading higher than it should. My oil is good. Also this morning on my way to work I realized the mds is not working. Eco light is on but no mds. Strange. Taking it in tomorrow anyways

OP
OP
myates

myates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Came back on. I'll update when I get it back

OP
OP
myates

myates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got it back. It was the oil sending unit. Everything is good now. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe this thread will help someone else.

chickson26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey got the same thing in my 07 ram cel is on and the oil pressure is running a little high took it to autozone and got the code p0520 so gonna swap out the oil pressure sensor and see if that takes care of it the truck seems to be running fine other than that it's got 115k so a bad sensor doesn't seem too out of reach

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Faulty oil pressure sending unit is fairly common, there is even a TSB for it. When they first started failing we were changing them like crazy. It's pretty much the same sending unit used on every Chrysler vehicle.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
pressure sensor location

I have this same problem with my 2014 6.4. Where is the sensor located and how tuff is it to change?
thanks