Clunk in brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MayheM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CC 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the title says, sometimes when doing something such as dropping down from the pavement onto a dirt road or driving over a little rough spot in my yard where i turn around, I can feel and here a clunk in the brake pedal if I'm pressing it down a little.

Any idea what could cause this? I haven't looked at any of it because I'm not sure what would be the cause.. To be completely honest it's done it for as long as I can remember. The truck has always braked fine when trying to stop or slow down, except for a week or so ago it was wet and downhill and as I was braking there was a pop and the brake pedal kinda skipped forward some.. and they may have locked up for just a fraction of a second.

Just hoping to get some opinions on what it could be or what I should look at (not sure if I'd know what to look for though even if told, but I can try). I probably need some new brakes anyway and was planning on changing them asap

OP
OP
M

MayheM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CC 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, okay. It was just the clunking that made me feel like something might be loose or something.

Also something else.. out of curiosity. I sometimes have a quite loud vibration/pulsing feeling and sound that I can feel in my steering wheel when accelerating or decelerating in the ranges of 25-40mph. Usually once it drops below or goes above, it quits. And it's not a quiet sound either, anyone riding in the truck would probably hear it.

jasf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have that "clunk" in my '12 as well. It's not ABS.

OP
OP
M

MayheM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CC 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I'm gonna be getting new brakes and whatnot anyway just because I need them. So I'll be able to see in a week or 2 if that helps any with what mine is doing.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Do either of you have a "ball hitch" or any kind of attachment in your receiver? A few members on this forum reported a "clunk" noise and it ended up being the hitch rattling around in the receiver.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do either of you have a "ball hitch" or any kind of attachment in your receiver? A few members on this forum reported a "clunk" noise and it ended up being the hitch rattling around in the receiver.

Yeah that **** is annoying ain't it?

When you do your brakes, look around at everything and see if something stands out. I had the drop down pavement sound (like it's gonna fall apart) and it was the lower pass. balljoint. Which was weird because it was only 10k miles old. But replacing it fixed the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MayheM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CC 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that **** is annoying ain't it?

When you do your brakes, look around at everything and see if something stands out. I had the drop down pavement sound (like it's gonna fall apart) and it was the lower pass. balljoint. Which was weird because it was only 10k miles old. But replacing it fixed the problem.

Have the receiver but no hitch in it, but you can feel it in the pedal, so I wouldn't think it would be that even if there was one there.

yeah sometimes on a drop it sounds bad sometimes, and the feeling in the brake pedal is like something is loose and moving around or idk. Maybe the balljoint would also be the problem for the weird vibrations I get while cruising sometimes too? Idk. I don't know much about this stuff, I'll have to check into it.

jasf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found the hitch clunk the 1st time I went for a beer/wood run from the campground. This noise is in the pedal & I can feel it.