Cv boot tear. Replace axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportPete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all,
Did a quick search and couldnt find much.
Got a small hole in my outer cv boot. Rtv on it for now.
Dealer wants 538$ to change my front passanger axle.

Queation is, how hard is it to replace just the boot? Hole is very small and i dont fear that gravel has gotten in in or much grease loss.

If not, how bad is a full swap of the axle?

2012 sport crew cab. 4x4.

Thanks!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off, welcome!

How many miles on the truck? How big is the tear? A pic would be great.

As far as I know, the cv axle shafts aren't too bad to change. When I did my level, I could have pretty easily changed the axle shaft. It looks like its just splined inside the diff and slides out. The axle itself I believe is under $100, probably even less for aftermarket like Moog.

Maybe someone who has actually changed one before will chime in.

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my right side axle just after Christmas. Not really that hard, but you need to make sure that you get the axle pulled off the stub shaft. If you get a good pry bar and work it, it should pop off. That was the only problem that I had and ended up having to replace that as well because it got damaged while trying to separate it from the axle. It's a dealer only part and cost almost $300, luckily for me the dealer was open that Monday and had one in stock.