Dash Light Dimmer Circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can someone post a schematic or identify a hot wire for a dimmed dash power wire? I need to wire in SPST switches and want to connect the independent side to a dimmed source so it functions like the lights in the truck. The OE schematics aren't available that I can find. Any help would be great. This is a 2016 2500 but I assume 1500's would be similar if not identical.

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I'm reading that correctly, pin 2 and 4 are dimmed. Is that right?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, I would monitor the voltage output on those circuits while turning the dimmer, just to make sure it does what you need.

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, I'll look at it this weekend.

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is this the plug on the back of the headlight rotary dial on the left side of the steering column?

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As a follow up: Pin#2 OR/BR gets brighter (voltage increases) as you turn down the rheostat under the headlight dial. Pin#4 OR/GY gets dimmer (voltage decreases) as you turn down the rheostat. I used Pin #4 to power the rocker switch. This is on a 2016 2500 Laramie PW so there have probably been electrical changes between '13 and '16. Thank you guys for your help.

lock1nout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
#6 is the dome light I'm assuming? I would like to separate this from having to turn the jog dial to turn it on.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
As a follow up: Pin#2 OR/BR gets brighter (voltage increases) as you turn down the rheostat under the headlight dial. Pin#4 OR/GY gets dimmer (voltage decreases) as you turn down the rheostat. I used Pin #4 to power the rocker switch. This is on a 2016 2500 Laramie PW so there have probably been electrical changes between '13 and '16. Thank you guys for your help.

So I'm trying to tap into the dim circuit right now. I just put a meter on the Orange/Grey wire and it went up in voltage as I turned down the rheostat?? Not only that, but the voltage is weird, 0.74 volts and then it goes to 4 volts?? Aren't the dash backlights 12v?

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I'm trying to tap into the dim circuit right now. I just put a meter on the Orange/Grey wire and it went up in voltage as I turned down the rheostat?? Not only that, but the voltage is weird, 0.74 volts and then it goes to 4 volts?? Aren't the dash backlights 12v?

Try pin #2. Other members described the OR/BR as the wire you need to tap but it could have been reversed starting in '16.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Guess I'll try pin #4

Anyone know of a better place to pick up dash lights, maybe even just an ignition hot near the radio? (I wouldn't mind them illuminated while driving during day)

just need power to illuminate few rocker switch text backlit leds

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’ve been looking at wiring harness pinouts for just this reason and it doesn’t appear that there are really any at all. Each module (radio, switch bank, etc) receives constant power and the canbus system tells the module when to turn on the dash lights and at what intensity. Or at least that’s what I’ve been able to determine. I haven’t looked at any of the standalone ambient lights, just the radio, AC module, and switch bank. None of them have a wire going to them dedicated to dash lights. Unfortunately this canbus system makes it harder for us to manipulate.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
worse case I’ll bring a wire from the fuse box via wiretap, I’ll just bundle it with the 12v constant and the trigger wires

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Do you have the console or the bench? Doesn’t the console have an easily accessible 12V outlet that is ignition hot only? I have the bench, I’m pretty sure the one in the lower left of my dash is battery hot, but I can’t remember if the one in my arm rest is or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have the full console and your right that’s only hot with the ignition which i could use to power the switches led back light without issues.
Thanks for the idea

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Try pin #2. Other members described the OR/BR as the wire you need to tap but it could have been reversed starting in '16.

Well, I found it, but I can't tell you which "pin #" it is. How do you tell what pin, is what #? They are not labeled? But I found it by sticking a small wire into the back of each pin and plugging it back in and turning it on/off with a volt meter on the other end of the wire. I finally found the right wire that went up/down with the brightness knob....