Daytime Running Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is a 2012 work truck addition and when I put the truck in gear the day time running lights kick on. Is there a way to turn them off?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never seen a Ram with running lights. Must just be the work trucks that have them.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has them........and to turn them off, take the headlight switch out of auto

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Its a Canadian requirement by law...
1) Your dealer MAY turn them off if you have a good relationship with them
2) Hope to hell Bullydog cracked the code, it should allow the same thing my triple dog allows, to disable them.
3) Take the truck to a USA shop and ask them to turn it off.. its not law to have them in them southern countries..

Noticed you are in Louisiana... Your dealer should do it for ya.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I see a LOT of Dodges running around here with DRLs. Mostly fleet vehicles, etc. As mentioned, dealer can remove it with their STAR scanner / tool.

OP
OP
cajun87

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is a fleet truck, so I'll just live with them I guess, I don't think my boss would like getting a bill from the dealership just to have the DRLs turned off.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was able to get my Canadian truck reprogrammed to have DRL disabled :D

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Isnt it illegal to not have DRL in Canada?

Law says so. I've driven 10 years without them on all my vehicles with no issues. As well as my family. We usually import our vehicles from the states...
:big_banana_Dance:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here in novascotia your truck will most likely fail a inspection if running lights are disabled..My buddys g/f bought a usa used toyota and when her inspection came due they told here to have her truck set up for it..dealer said it was a cpl hundy to do or get some after market add on type..
By law drl are req i canada and its been like that sence the mid 80's i think...

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about a relay to turn the low beams on instead of whatever lights the DRL use? My car has been that way for almost 10 years with no issues. As long as SOMETHING is on for headlights I'd be shocked if they cared that it was low beams.
As a side benefit using a relay to turn them on allows for full voltage to the lights, and you can use higher wattage bulbs without concern because you bypass the crappy stock wiring.

OP
OP
cajun87

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would i want to keep the low beams on? If i want to turn off the drl i would def not want to run with low beams. When its sunny outside i would like there to be no lights.

GreyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been pulled over multiple times(young kid who didn't like to wear a seat belt) with tinted taillights and no day time running lights, and every single time the cops didn't give me any hassle. The closet thing was one cop asking "are your taillights painted?", to which I informed him that they were only tinted. He told me I better check with my insurance company to make sure I'm still covered. I thought that was pretty nice of him to recommend.

It might depend on where you are, but out here even though it's illegal I've never heard of or experience anyone getting pulled over or hassled for it.

OP
OP
cajun87

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Louisiana doesn't require drls. And the redneck cops over here don't care about dark tail lights

PED

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in California, which has no requirement for DRL, and when I bought my truck it had no DRLs. I have, however, grown accustomed to them in my other trucks and cars, so I went to the dealership for my first oil change and had them activate my DRLs. I think they are great to have, especially for a mineragl gray truck, which can blend well into the cloudy background.

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I was wondering about them myself, I had them on my Silverado, I thought all vehicles were required to have them. Mine do not come on. It would be nice to know how they can be turned on and off. So, does the dealer have to turn them on and off?

Ike